Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yeah frequency. I think I've gone back a bit. We were a bit pressed for time, but I reckon if I had a second attempt it would have been ok :lol:

Good to know we all go through the same things :thumleft:

Running out of holidays now too to take for flying, desperate situation. :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
@StratoTramp as someone who is used to big bits of tarmac with wide open approaches, it blows my mind every time I see you fly into your home strip alongside the tree and threading it between the hedge.

I struggled to find Kemble today. If not familiar with it, find it on Google earth. It’s like a massive scrapyard for commercial airliners like 747’s. How the hell you find a grass field strip in a sea of grass fields I’ll never know :lol:
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
I like the old ways, Instructor kept his skydemon covered :lol: In the clip i was actually turning so I could show him it as it was bang under the nose.

tbh it's only 33nm, but my wind calcs and headings were good. Lots of landmarks too. I was a sceptic of the half mil versus the quarter. Didn't think it had enough info. But now I'm a convert :lol:

Maps are for winners can't beat a good old OS.
Milty, T6Harvard, TopCat liked this
By JAFO
StratoTramp wrote:[Also sorry to @JAFO the number of times I say plane and airplane is ridiculous - :roll: "must try harder, F- see me after class".

There was an "airplane" at 1:30, so I'll let you off.

The little copse of trees that you can see at 0:40 reminded me of the time when I had an airprox with a tractor the other side of that wood. I can neither confirm nor deny whether I was too low or he was too high, either way, it surprised both of us.
By StratoTramp
Do have to be careful that's good advice. Wouldn't help with the tractor but I do tend to call final on the base (dog)leg.
By JAFO
@StratoTramp - The tractor that I met was on the opposite side of the wood to the airfield, so, essentially, on the downwind leg. :D
By StratoTramp
JAFO wrote:@StratoTramp - The tractor that I met was on the opposite side of the wood to the airfield, so, essentially, on the downwind leg. :D

What!? how big was it! :lol: :shock:
By PeteSpencer
A landing biplane at Seething several years ago collided with a tractor/cropsprayer which just happened to be crossing the threshhold in an adjacent field.

Both people on board,both very experienced pilots, were killed: one instantly, the other, the owner, died in hospital a few days later.

Be careful out there: it can happen to the best pilots, suddenly and unexpectedly.
StratoTramp liked this
By T6Harvard
Most of us know @JAFO is extremely safety conscious and writes for comedic effect but those are words of wisdom @PeteSpencer .

( Didn't seem appropriate to 'like' given the outcome )