Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:
TrickyWoo wrote:It's possible I wasn't being serious. And at the moment at least I always have a carefully annotated 250 and 500 chart. SD sits quietly on the seat next to me and gets a quick occasional glance. Nothing more.

I fail to comprehend why SD sits quietly “nothing more”?

Cos he ain't passed his skills test yet, you spanner :lol:
By TrickyWoo
Crash one wrote:
TrickyWoo wrote:It's possible I wasn't being serious. And at the moment at least I always have a carefully annotated 250 and 500 chart. SD sits quietly on the seat next to me and gets a quick occasional glance. Nothing more.

My mini iPad is clipped firmly to the panel in line of sight as the Number one primary nav device. An out dated chart is buried in the map case, and I have been known to play with the wizz wheel occasionally as a slide rule in the workshop to keep my hand in.

Because I'm still learning (only 30 hours flown) and my test is imminent. For the LAPL test I am permitted only the use of a half-mil so that's what I practice with. I used a CX-3 and not a whizz and as soon as I'm qualified it'll be SD all the way but with charts too as backup (I'm ex-army and like a good map. Plus not having been an officer I can use it effectively).
GrahamB wrote:If you come to Welshpool and looking for grub, then best to avoid Mondays and Tuesdays as the cafe is generally closed on those days.

And it's not the most pleasant of walks to the local garden centre for a coffee. :shock:

GrahamB wrote:Let me know if you do come this way and I’ll do my best to be on hand.

I did and you made the excuse of being in foreign lands. :wink:

Joking aside, I thought it was/is a cracking airfield in its own right. Not being one to fly to a destination for the cafe, I'd be perfectly happy sitting on the grass under a wing enjoying a packed lunch and watching the world go by.

I'm a little envious of your home base, Graham. :D
GrahamB liked this
By Crash one
TopCat wrote:
Crash one wrote:

Cos he ain't passed his skills test yet, you spanner :lol:

Well put Topcat! :D

Trickywoo
My apologies, I thought you meant after LAPL test (GFT)
TrickyWoo, TopCat liked this