Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AlanC wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I said I'd lost visual with the field

Good call - today had some intriguing conditions as the front didn't reallly do as predicted, but did as it was wont to do.

Don't worry about the landing light too much. It's nice, but since half the instructors at your airfield forget/don't want to use it anyway, it's the icing on the cake rather than the essential. If there's enough capacity to select it on, then life is going well...

Hope I didn't propwash you at the end as you were strapping the machine back down/I was leaving the fuel bay :shock:!

@AlanC , it wasn't me driving when you thought you were going to get decapitated! It was only after we got inside that your name was mentioned or I'd have come and said hello.

PS, I fancy a go in the Duchess :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
seanxair wrote:I was stood at various points directly under the climbout / crosswind today and wondered if you may be above me and sound like you were! It was pretty grotty at times so well done. You have probably flown in **** weather than I ever have!

Didn't you see me wave? I opened the door especially - oh yes, I had another C152 uncommanded door opening event.
seanxair liked this
By AlanC
T6Harvard wrote:@AlanC , it wasn't me driving when you thought you were going to get decapitated! It was only after we got inside that your name was mentioned or I'd have come and said hello.

PS, I fancy a go in the Duchess :mrgreen:

All's well that ends well... He and I have taxied closer to fixed objects!

PS motivation to complete the PPL :mrgreen: we do have the odd positioning trip where pax/studes are welcome, albeit find your own way home afterwards usually.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
JAFO wrote:Image

I like that, made me chuckle. It seems then it may be something common. On one of my lessons, we were flying over my mother on laws house so the instructor took over and rolled the aircraft a bit so I could take a photo. He seemed very unphased that the door popped open on my side as I was leaning my slight frame against it. Valuable lesson though that you need to slow down to close it. Every day is a school day.
By JAFO
I remember an instructor at the old Doncaster airport in the 80s showing me how to fly a Cessna using the doors. Open one and it turned toward it, open both to descend.
Milty liked this
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:I remember an instructor at the old Doncaster airport in the 80s showing me how to fly a Cessna using the doors. Open one and it turned toward it, open both to descend.

I seriously think that my Instructor has enough to cope without me suggesting we try the latest 'fly by door' technology :lol:

Oooh, I forgot to mention the most useful thing yesterday was my invisible ratchet! They are brilliant, aren't they?

Of course I could only bring it into play after I had unhooked the piece of string from each thumb that kept Base and Final within parameters :mrgreen:

PS - Is anyone else worried that I can only fly by deploying non-existent Stuff usually found in THAT kitchen drawer??

PPS - is there a psychology test in the medical....? Only asking for a friend.
leiafee, Milty, t1m80 liked this
By MidlifeCrises
@T6Harvard - that sounded like an excellent lesson in the circuit. At this stage, those approaches that aren't 100% perfect, but you still turn into a either a safe landing or a go around, are I think more instructive that those that feel like plain sailing.

I managed to pass my skills test last week - what a huge relief. There were plenty of debrief points to take into further practise and training, but for now I think a rest is in order!
Last edited by MidlifeCrises on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milty, Paul_Sengupta, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Aggghhh, lesson cancelled this week, Instructor not available. I so wanted to build on the momentum re Landing, and I need to get the rest of the circuit sorted out at the same time :roll:

That was fine a month ago, now I'm often too wide or otherwise sloppy with positioning. It's the spinning plates thing, catching one and another one slips. However, it is time for a stern word with myself. I have done all the components satisfactorily now, just not all in the same circuit. A bit Eric Morecombe really :lol:
Milty, tr7v8 liked this
By T6Harvard
No Instructor this week either. Have managed to get just one hour next week and then we are away for a few days so that will be another week without flying :x

I feel momentum lessening and I don't like it :(

In an attempt to salvage something I have booked 2 more exams.
By VRB_20kt
That's frustrating. You may be surprised to find when you get back in the air that things may hang together quite nicely. A break can give your mind time to catch up.

Also, don't be afraid to do armchair circuits. Firstly, imagine you're the instructor and brief yourself thoroughly. What happens when? What is the wind doing? What must you do? What is the aircraft attitude going to be - and so on. Write it out in full with diagram and annotation. Once you have that completely correct then sit in a chair and execute the plan. What are the speeds, control actions etc. Do the checks (don't forget to check altitude and course between each airborne one). Do it with a timer. Each circuit should take about five minutes.
T6Harvard liked this