Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

6 first time passes, 1 retake. All over 90%. Done over 8 weeks. (Not bragging - below is what worked for me to get these results)

FRTOL - a fun afternoon. Not as difficult as expected - suspect there's some latitude in marking and as long as the important stuff is on form then you'll golden. I read the Jeremy Pratt book and probably didn't need to but it was interesting. Also I did this one yesterday after 30 hours and my LAPL is due soon so that made it interesting and no doubt less stressful. I'd like to do more tests - it's fun.

For the 'main' exams I had the Pooley's books but didn't really use them

I did use YouTube especially for Meteo (see below)

Air Law seemed dry but was relevant. I honestly think there wasn't any extraneous info across the board.

Last exam was Planning this morning and I had only 4 minutes left. All the others had lots left. I put this down to EasyPPL which probably has a little too much info and perhaps the questions are a little too difficult but it worked and worked well. Cannot recommend too highly. Their real-world navigation course is also excellent. Great product.

I reeeeeeeeeeeealy prepped hard with the EasyPPL course. I read and re-read every slide and did every test at least 20 times. Yes, really. Maybe more!

During tests I made notes on things I forgot and useful ways to remember them. Usually profane but that's just catastrophic immaturity. For things I didn't understand I didn't write notes, I went to You Tube and got the understanding. This was I think essential to passing. Then I take the notes into the exam and write the mnemonics down on a piece of blank paper from memory the second the exam starts. Then go through all the questions and get the ones correct I know are correct (the 'easy' ones) and never return to them. If I can then mark say 6 of 12 as definitely 100% correct I take a breath and do the rest more slowly. This is Very Important in Planning because some questions take time. Like...5 or 6 minutes time. Of the 7 exams I wasn't sure I'd passed on 3. All the others I had certainty. Thanks EasyPPL.

Didn't bother more than 4 hours with whizz-wheel. See posts passim for details. CX-3 all the way.

All exams were 'fair' with no hospital passes and the English used was fine. The HR exam was very quick indeed. May have been my lucky day but the questions were,...not challenging.

Meteo - I enjoyed it to begin with then it became a 3 week struggle. I have books here and posters still on the wall of clouds etc. Probably over studied but YouTube was essential. Even some American children's TV videos helped on weather stuff. And Buys Ballot can rod off. I never want to hear the lad's name again.

I hope this is of use. Please do ask any questions I'd love to help 'within the rules'.

I really enjoyed it.

Good luck!
T6Harvard, Milty, archerflyer and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Very interesting, thanks @TrickyWoo .

I am find EasyPPL GroundSchool excellent, too. The Pooley's manual for Human Performance is far more in-depth than seems likely for PPL exam. Interesting all the same.

I'll struggle with Met so have planned i) youtube and ii) an hour or two of groundschool, if I get my school's p/t instructor who "loves Met" to be in the same place at the same time as me!

I simply haven't looked at Flight Planning or Nav yet, am working my way up to them, slowly :lol:
I'll revert with questions when I get there :mrgreen:
NoTurningBack liked this
I was thinking I'll miss the study and was just looking at buying an ATPL Air Law book for 'fun' but a quick check of the highlighted terms on the poster on my wall has Fronts, fog vs mist and density affects etc etc and now I don't miss the study at all! I'm sure all would have been so much easier with your idea of a person to explain.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Thanks @TrickyWoo very useful.

I’m using EasyPPL in a similar manner. Been through all slides and tests several times. I’m now taking the trial exams a few times after not studying for a day or two so I can get a feeling for what is ingrained and what I might need to work on. I think with some favourable questions and a following breeze, I could pass air law. Ops procedures would be a close second. Might pluck up the courage to try next week.

We’ll done on doing it in 8 weeks. I’m looking forward to getting through air law and on to slightly more relevant topics.
The point about exam technique is important. You need to read through the whole paper first to decide the easy ones, the slightly difficult and the very hard. Then do them in that order. Once you’ve answered a question do not go back to it (I’ve seen soooo many papers where the candidate got a question right at first and then changed their mind due overthinking).
Three more tips:
1. Read the question
2. Read the question
3. Read the question
Good luck to anyone doing their exams :)
jcal, Milty, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Do they still put in 'trick' questions: For example in calculation questions if typically a question needs a subtraction but studes commonly do an addition, the answer to the 'wrong' addition is also given as one of the answer choices?
PeteSpencer wrote:Do they still put in 'trick' questions: For example in calculation questions if typically a question needs a subtraction but studes commonly do an addition, the answer to the 'wrong' addition is also given as one of the answer choices?

That’s not a trick question. Getting that wrong shows lack of understanding
PeteSpencer wrote:Do they still put in 'trick' questions: For example in calculation questions if typically a question needs a subtraction but studes commonly do an addition, the answer to the 'wrong' addition is also given as one of the answer choices?

Only place I can think that would / could be done is in a variation or deviation so more careful reading of the ? than a trick think. Do you have an example?

There was only one question out of all the exams that I and my instructor (afterwards) weren't sure about. Very fair indeed all in.