Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
To answer the original question "Does this sort of thing happen a lot or was this idiot a special case?" - Personal answer - I've not had things like it, although I haven't done any significant flying into busy, uncontrolled places. I have heard of similar happening before.

I have seem miss communication, miss-reporting positions, people calling "base" when I'm at base in the circuit which has worried me (they were actually about to join a 10 mile final).

I know lazy people, people who intentionally take liberties, people who are out of practice, people who were poorly trained, people who are students, people in aircraft without radio, new radios, poor radios, expensive radios, people in slow aircraft, fast aircraft, big aircraft, small aircraft, camouflaged, fluorescent. Some stay local, some are bimblers, foreigners, travellers, risk takers, risk mitigators, litigators.... All are different and fly differently. Some I wouldn't want to fly with, as my approach to risk is different from them.
However I don't know anyone who wants to die or injure others.

All you can be, is the best you can be - aim for that. When something goes wrong, ensure learning comes from it. If someone else needs to, or can, learn from something, ensure that there is the opportunity for this also to happen (sounds like it is happening in this case as it has been raised). It is up to others to decide is someone is unable to learn, so shouldn't be flying. This emphasis on learning from issues is what makes flying, which is inherently dangerous, as safe as it can be.

This is why we tend not to call others idiots before knowing all sides of a story. Then they might call themselves an idiot, the first part to striving to be better.
cadoganpier liked this
By TLRippon
Yes this does happen. I think most of us have been cut up in the circuit at one time or another and it doesn’t just happen at uncontrolled airfields.
I think though that as you gain more experience your attitude towards it changes to one of maintaining the safety of your own aircraft and giving the other aircraft the space to do whatever is about to happen. Sure we would all give a warning if we saw an aircraft on short final with no gear down but the concentration needs to stay on the aircraft you are commanding.
Fortunately your FI can use her considerable experience to multitask and deal with the external situation and she clearly considers you competent enough not to have to take over.
If there had been an accident on RW 11 then you would be considering either how to reposition to 25 which doesn’t intersect 11 and has an opposing circuit pattern or if the airfield closed, to where you were going to divert.
You could get a more realistic view on real world flying while still a WLAC student if you came along to the Saturday Brunch Club at Waltham, many students do/have done then continue with it afterwards. Flying as a passenger with experienced pilots, going to places outside of the standard training destinations can expand your horizons. We are planning Le2k this week. Why not come along? Lefty from this forum runs it. Just turn up on Saturday around 09:00 and you’ll be on the roster.
By TLRippon
pingmart wrote:Is the offer valid for other students going forward? :)

It is open to any Waltham student or indeed pilot member.
There is at this point 7 Aircraft heading for LeTouquet in the morning with about 20 people so far.
Artschool liked this
By treborsnave
I can heartily vouch for TLRippon and the FAC/SBC crew, as a student pilot over the past few years I've been up with them a number of times. I found it's really useful for:
- visiting places you won't see during training
- getting more comfortable with RT and airmanship
- getting a taste of different aircraft
All wrapped in a jovial, open and friendly atmosphere
Give it a try!
By pingmart
TLRippon wrote:

There is at this point 7 Aircraft heading for LeTouquet in the morning with about 20 people so far.

I thought so. I am not a Waltham student or member - I study and fly from North Weald.
By Ben K
Without talking to the other pilot in question, you'll never know. Did you afterwards, when everyone was on the ground?

Odds are the Arrow pilot cocked up; on the face of your post it sounds so.

But (acting as devils advocate here) how do you know they weren't dealing with a problem at the time? For example, you mentioned they were wheels up on the approach. Had they had a gear problem, and (bearing in mind a PPL in reasonable but not very frequent practice might not have much spare capacity in a busy visual circuit) simply didn't see you as they tried to diagnose the problem? You mention a lack of RT call; in a busy circuit they might not have been able to get on in.

(Remember; devil's advocate ;) )

I'm not excusing the Arrow pilot's actions, but am suggesting that a polite "did you know you" after the event, on the ground, and then discussing the response with your instructor might be a better course of action than posting "appalling flying" on a forum. One day you might cock up, and it could be you someone is calling an idiot on a forum.

Did you or your instructor discuss what occurred with the Arrow pilot, and if so, what was the result?
By TLRippon
pingmart wrote:
TLRippon wrote:

I thought so. I am not a Waltham student or member - I study and fly from North Weald.

I must have had the impression from your post you were circuit bashing at Waltham.
Oh well, never mind.
By pingmart
TLRippon wrote:
pingmart wrote:
TLRippon wrote:It is open to any Waltham student or indeed pilot member.

I must have had the impression from your post you were circuit bashing at Waltham.
Oh well, never mind.

I am not the same person as the original poster :) He is the one circuit bashing at Waltham.

I am a North Weald PPL student, currently doing navigation exercises and thought I'd ask as well :)
By TLRippon
pingmart wrote:
TLRippon wrote:
pingmart wrote:

Oh well, never mind.

I am not the same person as the original poster :) He is the one circuit bashing at Waltham.

I am a North Weald PPL student, currently doing navigation exercises and thought I'd ask as well :)

I guess it depends where you live and if you feel that a membership at Waltham is a justifiable expense.

I'm not based at Waltham any more but I keep up my membership because it gives me reduced rate landings and I have carved out a social life there which is comparable to few other airfields.