Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By eshroom
Pausing my lessons in the UK as need funds elsewhere in the short term. Moving to Nice soon so have the option to continue lessons in France or Italy.

Realistically I will never learn Italian (am good in French but not fluent), but Italy is the best place given my living in Nice to own or part own an aircraft (most of my flying will be to Greece).

My understanding is I would have to get a French or Italian license and would need language skills to match.

Can anyone confirm? If language requirements are as a I think, this will set me back years. :(

If I did just get a UK license could I use it indefinitely living in France?
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would think long nd hard abut changing your state of licence issue - despite the common complaints about the CAA I can assure you that dealing with them is a heck of a lot easier than most other EASA states' regulators.

As long as the UK remains in EASA you will be fine retaining your UK licence - should they not and should it become and issue then there will likely be some transition arrangements.

It is possible to finish off your training and get a UK issued EASA licence through a 'foreign' EASA school, it may require some footwork on your part to convince the foreign school but think it would definitely be worth the effort.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eshroom wrote:My understanding is I would have to get a French or Italian license and would need language skills to match.
Can anyone confirm? If language requirements are as a I think, this will set me back years. :(
If I did just get a UK license could I use it indefinitely living in France?

I dont recall anyone at my aeroclub mentioning there is any form of specific RT test following the French-EASA PPL course for a french licence, but there may be - however your french will need to be good enough to do the theory exams in French. The problem with a French licence will come if you wish to fly outside France - you will require an English language level 4 pass which you will need to do a specific test for - dont underestimate this even as a natural english speaker!!

Dealing with the DGAC is much the same as with the CAA, with the bonus that they have regional offices around France (oh, and they will sign off a rating renewal by experience too).

FYI, I have had a UK CAA issued JAR then EASA PPL ever since I came to France over 10 years ago without any major issues - there is more effort involved keeping it and a medical valid than if I lived in the UK, but its not too hard. Under JAR you couldnt change your PPL licencing authority easily, not sure about under EASA,

The big thing I like about being her is that French aeroclubs are just that - not for profit clubs more like group aeroplane ownership, completely unlike flying schools in the UK which are commercial businesses - which means that you need to put in more effort "for the club" but it is cheaper to fly here.

Hope this helps, I know nothing of the Italian scene.

Regards, SD,,
By James33
It's entirely possible to have a French issued licence with only English Language Proficiency on it.

The Italian language proficiency endorsement doesnt exist (as far as I know) because Italian is not an EASA language, even though Italian is spoken on the radio in Italy.

As a British student pilot in France, you will either :

- Automatically get level 4 rather than level 6 French because you are a "foreigner". This happened to a couple of pilots I know, even though their French is fine.

- If you pass the DGAC English exam (which you can't do unless you speak French as all the questions are in French !), a French licence with no French language endorsement but level 6 English.

SD is right that there is no specific RT test, only the "Radio Communications" part of the theory exam, which is just a written multiple choice quiz.

I am a language proficiency examiner and can issue you with a Belgian English proficiency certificate which is also accepted in France (but only up to level 5). The advantage though is my test is only in English :lol:

I'm generally in Nice about once a month.

PM if you need anything 8)

-