Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jazzer
Thanks for all the advice so far. It's a lot to think about. For the record I'm about 25 miles west of Glasgow.
By Crash one
Jazzer wrote:Thanks for all the advice so far. It's a lot to think about. For the record I'm about 25 miles west of Glasgow.

Nice airfield at Bute. Not for training though :D
By Crash one
Training gliders usually have adjustable rudder pedals and or seats.
By Jazzer
And in relation to powered flying, would 1 x 1 hour lesson a week be enough for quick progress?
By Crash one
Yes. That's about all I managed 11yrs ago at the age of 66, due to bookings, weather, serviceability etc.
They do, or did, say that to take about a year isn't a bad idea as you get to fly in all weathers.
Except in Scotland where we get six months of winter followed by six months of bad weather :D
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jazzer wrote:On the subject of gliding, I'm 6 foot 2, is that too tall?

So am I. Some of the single seaters were a bit snug, but nothing I couldn't cope with. As already said adjustable rudder peddle length is normal in gliders (why don't we see more of that in powered?) as are variable thickness cushions.
By Sooty25
give serious consideration to 3 axis microlights.

Training rate tends to be around 2/3 of a C150

Licence minimum requirement is 25hrs, so you can in theory be flying quicker at less cost. Don't dismiss it because of the microlight, stuff like C42's can match spamcans and on cheaper fuel, but not if you are 19stone and want to take 3 mates somewhere.

It can be upgraded as time and budget allows, just depends what you want.

Gliding, yes, great fun but you have to selective where you land if you want to fly home again!.

As for age, I believe Ryanairs only criteria at the moment is if you can get from your Zimmer frame to the left and seat, you're hired!

Find a way, and just do it!
By Jazzer
Personally I don't fancy microlights for some reason. I also think it's not much cheaper than going down the PPL route so why bother with it.

It's definitely between gliding and traditional powered flying for me.
By Paul_Sengupta
There's precious little difference between some microlights and "light aircraft" these days. For example, a factory built Eurostar is only available in the UK as a microlight. If you build it in your garage, it can be a full "group A" aircraft.

This is a Eurostar:

However the microlight place near you has C42s. This is a C42:

If you can fit and are of sufficient weight, why not go along for a trial lesson? Worth it just for the experience.

But you're right, the per hour cost isn't much lower where you are. But the number of hours required to qualify is lower. And until April next year there's a path to upgrade from microlights fairly quickly and at reasonable cost.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By seanxair
Paul_Sengupta wrote: And until April next year there's a path to upgrade from microlights fairly quickly and at reasonable cost.

Tempted. Thanks for the reminder Paul
By Sooty25
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I gave a link to a microlight training school above, but it's £150 an hour for training! :shock:

Fewer hours though.

Direct link...

http://www.sportflightscotland.com/

http://www.sportflightscotland.com/flyinglessonscosts.html

sorry Paul, I didn't click through on your first link. My comment was based on single airfield near me with both microlight and "full fat" schools at £130 (C42) and £179 (C150)
By navidvivo
Hi,

Please do yourself a favour and contact Moray Flying Flying club and speak with Angie, once you go meet them once you won’t look at any other flying school, the level of professionalism is amazing and all, well on my case just under £7K.

I passed all in 46 hours though.

PS I am 33 and staring my CPL MEIR next year. You’re not too old and don’t let anyone tell you that.

Feel free to message me for more details.

All he best.
Morten liked this