The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By flighty tyke
The internal battery in my venerable Bendix/King Skymap IIIc has died. I see from US sites that it is possible to replace the battery oneself, although it is not without risk and difficulty. I am told the batteries are LM-ER14505. Has anyone done this on a Skymap, and where does one obtain them in the UK.

It seems an expensive kit to junk in favour of a SD device.
By Toothypegs
Try Farnell in uk, they supply a huge range of electronic spares
By davejnr
I replaced mine a couple of years ago. It was fairly painless. Try and buy one that has the leads already attached to the battery. The URL of the place I bought mine from is on my works PC I'll try and remember to post a link to it tomorrow morning.

The replacement doesn't actually require too much dismantling of the unit. It does require a little bit of soldering.
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I changed mine a year ago with a battery bought from Ebay.

Quite straightforward, but required soldering. I'm a complete numpty when it comes to soldering, but have an electronic geek mate who did it for me in exchange for a flight for his mum :thumleft:

If you are really lazy, Harry M's will supply and fit them for you for about £100 (well that was the price a year ago)
By Joe Dell
An old thread, I know. But I have inherited a Bendix/King IIIC which is flush mounted in the panel with no obvious fixings. I need to get it out to change the failed battery. (No position feed to the transponder).

I've been told that I should prise/tug it out. Anyone out there who can confirm that?
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Depends on what bracketry is in use.
If the makers tray (Expensive type 1 with power and aerial connector ) then yes a push click fit.
If the makers type 2, with brass stand offs and pins, yes after removing securing pins then pulloff.
If previous owner has split open the case and fitted ether side of an alluminum sheet cutout then no, has to be unscrewed.
Difficult to tell without seeing front of panel and up behind instrument panel.

Actual battery changing is fairly easy if you can handle a soldering iron and desoldering tool or desoldering wick.
By Joe Dell
Thanks. No trace of any type of fixing on the panel. Looks like a seat out job and a bit of wriggling to get my head up behind the panel. Tried sticking a camera up the back. Too much spaghetti in the way. I wonder who thought that soldering was a good way to replace a battery?
By ADIRU777
We've had our SkyMap in and out quite a few times for battery renewal and data card change. The expert in our group uses what is in effect a wallpaper scraper to gently ease each side out a little in turn until enough is uncovered to pull the unit out by hand. The aerial attachment and power plug on ours just pull off leaving the unit independent.
We changed the battery for the first time about 7 years ago with great success and thought we had managed the same recently. It worked fine for sometime but now all it does is pop the circuit breaker. It's a long-winded task for something that shouldn't be necessary in this day and age. Luckily we were donated another unit (Thanks Nigel) which works well but the battery is dead. It just means that on power up, it takes a little while to locate satellites.
We got the new battery (LS14500) from https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/