The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
We're looking to surface mount a tablet holder on our panel. Currently we have a RAM ball mounted and use an arm + Tab-Tite holder, but would like a neater, less bulky solution. Ideal setup would be:

* easy to remove tablet from holder (we use a variety of ~8in tablets)
* sits close to the panel, not sticking out to much
* can be tilted to help with glare

I like RAM for the sturdiness and modularity, but after trawling their website I can't see anything that won't stick out at least a few inchces from the panel (depth of ball + arm etc.). I have googled around but not seen anything quite right so far, so open to suggestions...

(velcro has been considered but would like some a little more professional, plus the desire for tilting above)
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The 'arm' doesn't have to stick straight out.
I use mine with the arm at 90deg to the ball and the tablet is almost flush - well it sticks out about an inch - the size of the ball. It can be tilted/rotated etc.

If you must surface mount it velcro would seem to be the best bet - at reasonable cost.
The two gold standard options are:

RAM - as has been said before, you can use a very short arm mounted at 90 degrees to keep your tablet close to the panel. There's a whole lot you can do here, so as long as you have the space, RAM will probably do it. All other mounting options are just as thick

Guardian - a flush mount unit placed in the panel. Minor mod for both BMAA and LAA.
Velcro a plastic tablet case to the panel. You can use a cheap case and remove the front part.
Use INDUSTRIAL/ HEAVY DUTY velcro, don't use any other - the adhesive will melt in the heat.
Or screw/rivet same to the panel.
If you do a tidy job you will not see the velcro. There is no cheaper option if you want it very close to the panel.
If you wish to use different tablet holders don't use too much velcro - you'll struggle to separate them if you need to do it regularly.
Put the hooky side of the velcro on the panel otherwise when you remove the tablet holder it will catch on everything inside your bag, including the bag itself.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this