The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Wingwalker
Afternoon all.

David here - newbie - currently done 16 hours in a PA28 Warrior.

They flying club I'm with has a couple of headsets with some minor faults, and as I come from a technical background. I said I'd try and help get them fixed.

However - I'm having difficulty working out how to dismantle them to carry out fault finding tests. There's no obvious method of deconstruction, and as they're not mine, I'm a bit reluctant to go like a bull in a china shop. Can anyone tell me if any schematics exist for a SEHT 30-60 and a SEHT 30-75 as I can't find any in the usual searches online? I suspect the manufacturer may not have made them public which is understandable, but if anyone can help here, then it's worth a shot in asking. Just to add - I'm familiar with headset repairs as I used to do this a while ago with theatrical units that technicians wear, so not a complete novice in this field. I'm just having issues with these two particular types of unit.

Many thanks in advance.

D.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most headsets have the screws hidden behind the ear seals. Once you have the seals off you’re in business.

The bit that often fails on headsets is the cable going into the plug.
T67M liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ANR headsets in a flying school....fancy!

As mentioned, the earseals are generally held on by a wrap around bit which goes around a lip in the plastic. Gentle pulling on one end should expose the lip then you just "peel" them back. You might have to stretch them a bit to put them back on. There will be a cover over the headphone earpieces so they don't rub against your ears directly. That will probably just pull out. Underneath you'll see the modules. Given these are ANR headsets they'll probably be electronic circuit board modules attached to earphone speakers (maybe one, maybe two, one for the audio, the other for the ANR) and a microphone for the ANR.

There will generally be some acoustic deadening foam around the inside of the cups and this can be removed. Take note for how it goes back in!

I don't know what the SEHT warranty is like but it might be worth sending them back to them. They are a UK company.
By Ian Melville
Warrenty is 5 years in one part of the website with 'no-quibble' and 1 year in another, with lots of conditions!!

We offer a 5 year, no-quibble warranty on all of our headsets.

What is covered and for how long
Unless a different warranty period is stated on the Owner’s Manual or any Extended Warranty promotion of your SEHT® product has been registered or exercised, for a period of 1 year from the date of retail purchase by the original end-use purchaser, SEHT warrants that this product, when delivered to you in new condition, in original packaging, directly from SEHT or an authorised SEHT reseller and used in normal conditions, is free from any defects in manufacturing, materials and workmanship.

What is not covered
This warranty does not cover defects resulting from improper or unreasonable use or maintenance; failure to follow operating instructions; accident; excess moisture; insects; lightning; power surges; connections to improper voltage supply; unauthorised alteration or modification of original condition; damages caused by inadequate packaging or shipping procedures; loss of, damage to or corruption of stored data; damages caused by use with non SEHT products; product that requires modification or adaptation to enable it to operate in any country other than the country for which it was designed, manufactured, approved and/or authorised, or repair of products damaged by these modifications; and products purchased from unauthorised dealers.