The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By ikcarusflyer
I’m installing a KRT2 panel Mount radio. Debating a premade harness or going it myself (I’d have a reasonable level of competency with soldering). Has anybody gone through the process themselves? Any suggestions/ experiences with the KRT2?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't know who you're buying from, but if Mendelsohn I'd phone them up for a chat. They convinced me, when I was installing a G5 and GNC255, that I could do it myself.

I've not used a KRT2. There is a suggestion that they don't come with connection kit at all. Their manual seems to recommend either a small circuit board (ST1 p46) or some other adapter (STX) rather than wiring straight, which suggests they have had problems with DIYers. I see there are adapters available from some suppliers to convert wiring from various makes into a KRT-2 https://lxavionics.co.uk/index.php?rout ... uct_id=699

I suspect that soldering in an aircraft isn't easy. When I installed Garmin and Trig kit, all parts came with connections, and they were all crimp.
By RichJordan
I installed a KRT2 into my CTSW to replace a handheld/intercom setup. The KRT2 is fine, radio performance in general is very good. The UI isn’t great, e.g saving frequencies is a bit of a pain and it’s difficult changing frequencies when it’s a bit bumpy. On the whole I preferred the FUNKE kit I put into my previous aircraft.

(I bought a radio and transponder bundle. The KTX2 transponder is not so good. I would not recommend).

I bought from Mendlessohn and had them make me up a loom. I would 100% recommend this approach, even if they just provide you with a loom of tails you can then extend as required.

I used self soldering butt joints. Much easier than soldering in tight spaces and very neat.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:Proper crimped connections are far superior to anything soldered.

With the emphasis on PROPER.
The type of crimp connection made with the Halfords car crimp connector kit are, well, rubbish and a soldered connection by a competent person is preferred.

However if you have access to the proper crimping tool i.e Amphenol, Garmin etc which may cost £100, then this is preferable ; particularly if the connectors are supported by a back shell for strain relief.