The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By ikcarusflyer
Wingtip lighting... a controversial topic in some areas, as many will point out "you're not a 737, they're not mandated, and they won't be seen anyway"

However... as a vanity project hidden under the guise of improved safety through visibility, I'd like to add a set of wingtip strobes (preferably combo strobe/nav/pos) and a landing light to a BMAA type microlight.

Theisen and Avio are two names which pop up a lot... but what else is out there, and what do owners rate? Primarily interested in the clarity and visible range of the light... Would like to be identifiable in the circuit! Radio noise (or lack thereof) is crucial!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
FlyLED, The Works.

Position lights, strobes, landing lights and taxiway floods in one unit. Strobes and landing lights can be set to WigWag if you like.

We have them fitted on an RV. I can't offer a comparison as we've never had anything else. No radio interference whatsoever.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We're very pleased with our Raylight Hermes wingtip Nav/Strobes. Used existing wing Nav wiring, no interference. For the tail we replaced existing bulb with much brighter LED.
By Rob P
I managed to dig up a picture

Rob P
By Rob P
That was very much our thinking. The 7 metre shift from one light to the other does impart movement, one of the key elements of visual conspicuity.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Sooty25
ikcarusflyer wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:I have a set of AVEO Powerbursts waiting to be fitted in place of a set of Whelans.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/lsa-experimental-ul-kits-and-gliders/powerburst-ng-daylite/

All seem bright when run in the workshop, but I guess I won't know for sure until I compare them side by side.

How did you find them price wise, and where did you source from?

Sourced them direct from Aveo europe here in the UK. I think they were £399 + vat delivered.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/contact-us/
By Sooty25
ikcarusflyer wrote:Gulp!!

Yeah, I know. Expensive enough to say "gulp", but not expensive enough to bother trying to make a set!