The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If 10kgs is right I may have overstated a bit, my calculations were based on 28kgs for approx 10,000 mature trees plus a bit for soil and undergrowth :D

So it might only be 1200 tonnes :lol:
By GrahamB
johnm wrote:If 10kgs is right I may have overstated a bit, my calculations were based on 28kgs for approx 10,000 mature trees plus a bit for soil and undergrowth :D

:?:

10,000 * 10Kg = 100,000Kg = 100 tonnes.
johnm liked this
GrahamB wrote:
johnm wrote:If 10kgs is right I may have overstated a bit, my calculations were based on 28kgs for approx 10,000 mature trees plus a bit for soil and undergrowth :D

:?:

10,000 * 10Kg = 100,000Kg = 100 tonnes.

probably still 100T more than the rest of us! I own a mere 2 trees and one of those is still a sapling!

look after them @johnm :thumleft:
By Flying_john
Don't forget that without Co2 the photosynthesising plantlife will have nothing to breathe.

Secondly why do the medjia only refer to trees and omit to tell us that the rolling fields of grass, the crops, the vegetables etc etc all convert Co2 back into useful stuff for the animals (& Humans) to use.

Are there any really meaningful studies carried out by independent researchers ( & not Greta's mum and dad) that tell us how much Co2 is converted back to oxygen or fixed into plantlife or into the ground.

I suspect not, as it it would seem to be an almost impossible calculation. I wonder if its just a ruse to make us all pay more taxes etc.

Incidentally - you don't hear any more about the destruction of the ozone layer and that big hole above the poles. A quick google reveals the hole, in a perfectly natural cyclical way, has got smaller and is predicted to close right back up until the next cyclical event.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/record-breaking-2020-ozone-hole-closes

:roll:
By VRB_20kt
Flying_john wrote:Incidentally - you don't hear any more about the destruction of the ozone layer and that big hole above the poles. A quick google reveals the hole, in a perfectly natural cyclical way, has got smaller and is predicted to close right back up until the next cyclical event.

There has been a massive reduction in the use of CFCs. It's not impossible that that has something to do with it.

Reminds me of the Y2k issue which the press pronounced to be a storm in a teacup - quietly forgetting the many hundreds of thousands of man hours spent making sure that systems continued to operate without failure.
johnm, Rob P, Dusty_B and 1 others liked this
Are there any really meaningful studies carried out by independent researchers ( & not Greta's mum and dad) that tell us how much Co2 is converted back to oxygen or fixed into plantlife or into the ground.

I suspect not, as it it would seem to be an almost impossible calculation. I wonder if its just a ruse to make us all pay more taxes etc.

We can measure CO2 levels which is what really matters in this context, further I'm pretty sure the scientists actually know how much CO2 a hectare of various Plant types can absorb.

Somebody might be trying to trick you into paying more Taxes but its not Greta or her mum and dad, its probably the people you voted for :wink:
GrahamB wrote:Avgas is approximately 85% carbon, and most of those carbon atoms will end up being combined with two oxygen atoms, each of atomic weight 16, to produce a CO2 molecule of weight 44.

I wonder what proportion of fuel going into the engine is not combusted (for those operating rich of peak). And what happens to the carbon in that evaporated unburnt fuel, in relation to the climate change?