The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Hi

Had a look and couldn’t find anything but I’m carp at searching.

Does anyone know or can point me to where I could find some data on the co2 generated from burning 100LL, I’m looking from the POV of working out a cost to offset.

Thanks
Miscellaneous wrote:[usermention=2517]It's the same units as the fuel burned, so I'm getting 2.48kg per ltr in GA terms.

That seems an awful lot. Tell me I have it wrong.

That's precisely what I thought, if it's kgs, which is the most obvious unit, that seems a lot per litre.

Edited to say, I've had a quick Google and that's probably right. :shock:
JAFO wrote:Edited to say, I've had a quick Google and that's probably right. :shock:

So from burning Avgas there is circa 2.5 times the mass of CO2 produced, in addition to the other by products.

Holy moly. :shock: What we need are CO2 burning engines. :thumright:
Well, I've learned plenty this morning, including not to post a question before my first coffee. Of course the units of the answer depends on the units you input.

I hope this fog burns off so that I can go and create 312.48 bananas worth of CO2.
JAFO wrote:Well, I've learned plenty this morning, including not to post a question before my first coffee.

I almost beat you to it and then I recalled I hadn't had my first coffee. :wink:

JAFO wrote:I hope this fog burns off so that I can go and create 312.48 bananas worth of CO2.

It's not looking good according to Windy. I've given up all hope of ever flying again here, due weather. :evil: :evil:
JAFO liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A carbon atom has an atomic weight of 12.

Avgas is approximately 85% carbon, and most of those carbon atoms will end up being combined with two oxygen atoms, each of atomic weight 16, to produce a CO2 molecule of weight 44.

The extra mass comes from the oxygen being dragged out of the free atmosphere by the combustion process.

The above is a vast oversimplification, but if you work it through with even those numbers, you come very close to the conversion factor in @Rob P ‘s post above.
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, TopCat and 2 others liked this
Reading this, I though those figures sounded nuts, but a quick google for petrol produce a figure of around 2.4kg per litre on multiple sources. For example.

https://www.carbonindependent.org/17.html#:~:text=CO2%20from%20fuel%20use%3A,1%20gallon%20is%204.546%20litres).

Can't reduce that, but we can support offsetting via tree planting to absorb some of it. Either directly if you or your airfield has spare space, by sponsoring tree planting schemes such as this one.

https://carbonneutralbritain.org/pages/become-carbon-neutral

I suppose the the argument becomes, why not plant trees and not fly, therefore doing even more good!