The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Hi

I’m struggling to find a suitable case and wonder if anyone has any suggestions ideally need to tick these boxes:

-can mount to yoke
-can still use pencil2 to stick/charge on the side
- provides decent protection when using outside the aircraft.

Been looking at the ram tablet x grip with yoke mount but that doesn’t leave room for pencil but would work with generic case.

My knee pad is an option but I really want it joke mounted

Any suggestions, thanks
Fellsteruk wrote:My knee pad is an option but I really want it joke mounted

Ignoring the open goal...

What is the reason for wanting it yoke mounted?

Rob P
I don't really get the "instrument scan" concept.

Do you really feel the need to include a scan of your navigation app as frequently as your essential flight instruments? Why?

Maybe we all do things differently, but my tablet is strapped to my leg. Once on track the heading bug on the EFIS (spit) is synchronised, and that is patently already in the scan.

I'll glance at the tablet every few minutes or so. Certainly nothing like as frequently as the panel and the sky.

Rob P
NDB_hold, A4 Pacific, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In IMC a scan is a complicated beast and covers a wide area. In my case I have the 6 pack plus GTN 650 and Ipad and engine instruments, I don't do them all every cycle, I have multiple overlapping cycles and with ipad on the yoke it's in range of peripheral vision for alerts.
Rob P wrote:I don't really get the "instrument scan" concept.

Do you really feel the need to include a scan of your navigation app as frequently as your essential flight instruments? Why?

Maybe we all do things differently, but my tablet is strapped to my leg. Once on track the heading bug on the EFIS (spit) is synchronised, and that is patently already in the scan.

I'll glance at the tablet every few minutes or so. Certainly nothing like as frequently as the panel and the sky.

Rob P

Now I’m flying mostly a DA40 and have nowhere to yoke mount (and nowhere convenient for a suction mount) I’ve started having my iPad/SkyDemon on my lap.

The result is a healthier scan. I find I’m using SkyDemon to pick a heading but using external cues more to hold it not chasing the magenta line. I have a nominal heading in my head but I am looking out better.
A4 Pacific, Rob P liked this