The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Dman
Hi
Looking to upgrade from our old handheld Icom a6e to a panel mount.
What are peoples thoughts on the Trig TY91 vs the Funke ZATR833s
About £300 difference in cost, so not a huge difference

Cheers
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can't answer your question specifically, but as a general rule I'd be quite wary of buying anything from Funke after the ADS-B debacle with their transponders.
Aerials liked this
By Rob P
Buy Trig

Buy it from Harry's

Doubly safe choice as has been proved as we moved our existing Trig transponder to ADSB Out. Great support from both companies including a free and fast software upgrade.

Rob P
Dusty_B liked this
By Rallye
I have a TRig 91 and are not happy with the visibility and would not choice that in the future.
I put the maximum brightness,but it don't help.
By Kirkbymoorside
Based on our recent experience with Trig I would highly recommend them.

We needed a software upgrade for our transponder and transponder control unit and they did that at no charge other than shipping plus they did the upgrade and sent it back to us on the same day they received it - outstanding support.

And I find both their radio and transponder straightforward to use.
Rob P, Dman, Nick liked this
By Boxkite
Have a look at the upgrade prices for Funke equipment and the faff of sending it to Germany.
Trig updates are not much more than the cost of postage and the turn around is very quick.

Funke do not differentiate between an "upgrade" and a software update.

Though with Funke there are two types of display available: OLED or LCD.
By Aerials
I was also wary of buying from Funke for the same reason Paul describes earlier. I bought the TY91 radio followed a year or so later by the TT21 once I was quite satisfied with the radio. I also discovered that the software in both the transponder box and it's controller were not current when I came to install them. An e-mail to Support at Trig was answered within an hour and contained the information to be able to return both items to them. The updates were supposed to be completed within 10 working days but did not take more than a day after delivery to them. A most satisfactory service.
My one critisism is that I would prefer controller displays with more contrast, but as I don't do many frequency or code changes, I can live with them.
By riverrock
Having had an issue with our ATR-833 OLED I would recommend not Funk.
It was back to the factory a few times, same issue (went into a low lower mode, including when on the bench with a known good power supply).
It was supplied by HM and they did their best (including replicating the issue before sending the box back to Funk), but were tied into long wait times at Funk.

There were a few people with the same issue I found online - rumour is that depending on panel thickness, it was possible to tighten screws enough to make contact with the circuit board (this was very much only a rumour - no idea if true).

I will say - it has now been working faultlessly for a few years.
By Dodo
I've used Trig TY91s in two aeroplanes. Yes, a bit fiddly, but work well and the monitor and memory functions are very useful as is the built in intercom.

If possible though, have it mounted in your direct line of sight as visibility at an angle is not great.

I've not tried the Funke, but would be happy to buy another Trig.
Dman liked this
By Robin500
I have a Trig TY91, and have found it to be absolutely fine. Has a very good range as well. It was a bit fiddly at first but you soon adapt.
By ikcarusflyer
+1 for Trig Customer Service. They performed a repair and software upgrade on my transponder in record time, and returned it in a brand new shipping box, with new paperwork.

I haven't had a chance to fit it yet, but I have no doubt it'll be fine!