The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Hi,

Quick question about logging night hours, let’s say you have a flight which starts before official night “30mins after sunset” but ends at night.

If most of the flight is at night would I log it as a night flight.

For example planning a flight about 4pm till 6ish sunset will be about 4:10ish which makes official night about 4:40.

Thoughts?
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd log the night minutes/hours as the part of the flight in night conditions only. (Similarly for IMC, just log the minutes (or hours) spent in IMC, not the whole flight as IMC)

So if it was a 1 hour flight, and half of it (30 minutes) in night conditions, I'd log 1.0 P1, and 0.5 night
A le Ron, JAFO, Cessna571 and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Great thanks!

Didn’t think of doing it that way but that makes perfect sense and easy enough to do/ work out.

Thanks again :)
By Irv Lee
Remember to keep a eye on night take-offs as well as night landings, if all your flights bridge day/night then you can suddenly find you cannot take passengers
By Rob P
rikur_ wrote:So if it was a 1 hour flight, and half of it (30 minutes) in night conditions, I'd log 1.0 P1, and 0.5 night

Presumably taking care not to add one hour thirty to your total time?

Rob P
By rikur_
Rob P wrote:

Presumably taking care not to add one hour thirty to your total time?

Indeed. So in a Pooleys style log book it would be 0.5 P1 in the day column and 0.5 P1 in the night column