The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By flyingearly
Can anyone recommend a source/retailer where I can obtain fabric by the metre appropriate for aircraft seat covering / side panel upholstery?

I'm planning to replace the aged and tatty cushions and fabric in our permit microlight but keep getting led down dead-ends with fabric suppliers.

I was looking at AquaClean as a stain resistant, hard-wearing, fire-resistant fabric (although quite costly) but everywhere I turn, it's trade only.

Any ideas/thoughts? I don't require much; the high street type upholsterers not really offering the fire resistance/range to choose from sadly. Specific 'aviation' fabric tends to exist only websites catering for private jet interiors - I'm not quite there yet...
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Or ask John Jones at Gloucester who he uses
By Rob L
May I suggest finding an automotive leather upholsterer? It's naturally fire-resistant, and not as expensive (or as heavy) as you may think for small seat cushions.
By Highland Park
We had the seats in The Shiny Colt refurbished during lockdown around this time last year, plus new tops to the door and pilot’s side sidewall, including impact resistant foam etc. The lady who did it works primarily in the classic car world, but she did a super job for £500 all in….I don’t actually know her name (I can find out), but she’s based near Seething…

Ian
PeteSpencer, flybymike liked this
By flyingearly
Thanks all - amazing replies. @Highland Park if you can find out details that would be amazing!

I've ended up exploring automotive fabric (Alcantara) but will look at the other recommendations here / contacts to see if they can help.

Many thanks!
By Highland Park
flyingearly wrote:Thanks all - amazing replies. @Highland Park if you can find out details that would be amazing!

I've ended up exploring automotive fabric (Alcantara) but will look at the other recommendations here / contacts to see if they can help.

Many thanks!

Here you go:

Sarah Mann:

https://outoftheburrough.wixsite.com/home
flyingearly liked this