The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
A forced landing last week unfortunately led to the Continental C90 on my Jodel being written-off, and it looks as if the aircraft may not be economical to repair based on replacing this along with some other damage incurred. It seems that I can get hold of a Rotax 912 within the repair budget, however I'm pretty sure that this engine model hasn't been fitted to any UK-reg Jodel D11s before (although I've found some evidence of this airframe + engine combination overseas).

Before I take this up with the LAA I wanted to ask if anyone here has gone through the process of approving a new engine + airframe combination with the LAA? If so, was it relatively straightforward or more of a bureaucratic nightmare?

TIA,

Adrian
I can't answer your question but an initial chat with LAA engineering would seem to be the best idea. I do know of a Jodel D1050 that has had a Rotax 912 fitted and also a Pietenpol that had an engine change to a Rotax 912 ULS.

I expect you would have to provide full information on the change including the new engine mount and all appropriate stress calculations.
Thinking further on the idea of fitting a Rotax 912 in your D11 the small amount of LAA bureaucracy that you will meet imho is going to be the very least of your problems!...The amount of work involved will be substantial!
Just a few of the big challenges, and there will be many along the way, that quickly come to mind that will have to be overcome:-
1.You are going to have to design and manufacturer an engine mount to accomodate not only fitting into the engine bay but the effect of what the engine weight difference will do to the aircraft weight and the Cof G shift.
2 Either new or substantial modifications to the engine cowls will be needed to accomodate the Rotax coolant and oil coolers.
3.Replacement of the fuel delivery system including also modifications to the fuel tank to accomodate the required Rotax fuel return line.
4 Manufacture a complete exhaust system to suit.
5. Engine wiring/instrumentation to a suit the Rotax.

All in all my thoughts regretably would be that the cost to do this engine swap, unless of course you just want to do it for the challenge or the hell of it, it is not worth the effort involved to do this to a low value aircraft like a D11. :)
mick w liked this
As soon as you said,

ADP wrote:...... within the repair budget,

this became a non-starter, as I guess you've not factored time into the equation.

If you "want" to do it, the issues raised by @Shoestring Flyer are just design/engineering issues, and yes the paperwork will be a bind, but can also be achieved. Speaking to the chap who owns the 1050 will no doubt be a great help.

However, if your reason for doing it is to just save a few quid, forget it.
Stampe liked this
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the input, much appreciated.

Sadly after investigating different routes to getting the aircraft back in the air economically I haven't been able to make the numbers work, so have decided not to buy the salvage back. Such a shame as it was a lovely little aircraft and I imagine that someone with time and expertise could get her back in the air economically, but that isn't me unfortunately.

Thanks,

Adrian