The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Whiffletree
Hi We are looking at removing the traditional AI from our Piper Warrior and replacing it with a Garmin G5 AI.

Can anyone recommend an avionics installer or quote a price for this. Aircraft is based at Blackbushe.

Thanks
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can't answer the "who" question (as I did our own on our permit aircraft).
I would expect the STC to include plumbing in Pitot, static, GPS source and magnetometer but do make sure they include all those. I suspect cost will depend on whether you already have a certified GPS source and any other things (such as autopilot) you want to hook into it.
By johnm
RGV at Gloucester are an excellent avionics shop.
By Gas Guzzler
Whiffletree wrote:Hi We are looking at removing the traditional AI from our Piper Warrior and replacing it with a Garmin G5 AI.

Can anyone recommend an avionics installer or quote a price for this. Aircraft is based at Blackbushe.

Thanks

Mine was done by Phoenix Avionics at Stapleford, no problems at all. A bit of advise though, have the DI replaced as well with another G5 and get rid of your vaccum system completely. The G5 AH/HSI pair is a fantastic bit of kit, coupled to a 430 would be superb. Worth the extra money now without doubt
By domf
Resurrecting an old thread….

Can anyone who had had this done (rather than doing it themselves) on a permit aircraft share an approximate cost?

Dom
By riverrock
Sorry - self install.
I suspect it will depend on many factors
- how many features you are wiring in (autopilot, pitot, static, magnetometer, temperature gauge, GPS, etc)
- how much panel modification is required
By Peter Kelly
Most of the work required will almost certainly be mechanical rather than electrical. Opening up the relevant spaces, cutting, holes making brackets etc. then putting it all back together again. The wiring is likely the simple bit.

My efforts today to change an old King transponder for a new Garmin one are fairly typical. It included a fair bit of panel fettling, rerouting an oil pressure hose and removing most of the cockpit trim in order to reroute the antenna feed line. And putting it all back together again.

The new wiring was five wires and associated crimped pins…

How do you price that?

If you have to open-up existing connectors to de-pin and re-pin it’s a whole new world of grief.

There is no such thing as a simple avionics upgrade.

P.