The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By flyingearly
Hello,

I'm looking to replace the seat fabric, cushions and upholstery in our Zenair 601 microlight (PtF). The existing is pretty old and tatty and it needs ripping out and refitting.

Given the age, my plan is to source bespoke replacements from a local upholsterer up the road, but before I do, I just wanted to check my understanding and make sure I don't have any special requirements.

My understanding is that:

This constitutes pilot maintenance and doesn't require any signoff (LAA docs only mention 'repairs', not replacement', but no solid structures will be touched so assume it's fine - no signoff needed.

There aren't any special requirements in terms of materials, fireproofing etc - although will obviously source flame resistant materials anyway.

I'll need to check weight of the new vs the old as appropriate.

Basically, am I ok to get Mrs Smith up the road to make me some nice thin cushions and side panel covers based on our measurements, or do I need to do any more than that?
By Rob L
Was it kit-built? I don't think you are too far off track, but unless it's to the same spec as originally fitted from the same original kit supplier, I would suggest you talk it over with your LAA/ BMAA Inspector beforehand (for example, a new W&B schedule might be in order). It is not pilot maintenance, and will need an Inspector sign-off at least.

I can recommend using memory-foam for the seat base; it makes for comfortable flying but at a small weight penalty.

Certainly Mrs Smith can make them (fire-retardant is best, as you already suggest :thumright: )
By flyingearly
Rob L wrote:Was it kit-built? I don't think you are too far off track, but unless it's to the same spec as originally fitted from the same original kit supplier, I would suggest you talk it over with your LAA/ BMAA Inspector beforehand (for example, a new W&B schedule might be in order). It is not pilot maintenance, and will need an Inspector sign-off at least.

I can recommend using memory-foam for the seat base; it makes for comfortable flying but at a small weight penalty.

Certainly Mrs Smith can make them (fire-retardant is best, as you already suggest :thumright: )

Thanks for the response - yes, kit built. Just in case it makes any difference, the seats on the 601 are an integral part of the structure (it's almost laid back, you're sitting on top of the main spar, effectively) so I wouldn't be replacing any 'seat'; it's purely a removable cushion that sits in the moulded recess, if that makes sense.

I'll still speak to the inspector though and see what they say.
Rob L liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Leather is naturally fire-retardant. I know that fire -regulated children's soft-play centres are allowed to cover flammable -foam with fire-resistant material (usually the same stuff as wagon/curtainsider tarp.

Since the Eoolworths fire in all household furniture has to carry a label attesting it's increased safety and less (non?) toxic fumes. re-purpose a redundant suite?
By Peter Kelly
It's surprisingly difficult to source fire resistant fabrics, especaily if you want something non-standard. There are however a number of companies that offer a fire-proofing service for textiles. There are a multitude of different standards for fire-proofing but if you are on an LAA permit there is no obligation to follow anything specific.

Also, think about perhaps using an energy absorbing foam in place of the existing stuff. It is quite a lot more expensive, but your spine will thank you if the worst should ever happen and your backside will thank you every time you fly for more than 30 minutes at a time.
Rob P liked this
By Forfoxake
flyingearly wrote:
Rob L wrote:Was it kit-built? I don't think you are too far off track, but unless it's to the same spec as originally fitted from the same original kit supplier, I would suggest you talk it over with your LAA/ BMAA Inspector beforehand (for example, a new W&B schedule might be in order). It is not pilot maintenance, and will need an Inspector sign-off at least.

Thanks for the response - yes, kit built. Just in case it makes any difference, the seats on the 601 are an integral part of the structure (it's almost laid back, you're sitting on top of the main spar, effectively) so I wouldn't be replacing any 'seat'; it's purely a removable cushion that sits in the moulded recess, if that makes sense.

I'll still speak to the inspector though and see what they say.

Even more reason to use energy absorbing foam.....
By flyingearly
Energy absorbing foam? I genuinely had no idea that such a thing existed - what a time to be alive!

Will look into this and report back. LAA inspector has advised no signoff required provided it's just the cushion and foam we're replacing and not touching any structural, which we're not.
By Forfoxake
flyingearly wrote:Energy absorbing foam? I genuinely had no idea that such a thing existed - what a time to be alive!

Will look into this and report back. LAA inspector has advised no signoff required provided it's just the cushion and foam we're replacing and not touching any structural, which we're not.

Could save your spine in a very hard landing. Widely used in gliders for many years...

https://members.gliding.co.uk/library/s ... fety-foam/
By Rob P
Forfoxake wrote:Could save your spine in a very hard landing. Widely used in gliders for many years...

My back suffered a bit in my EFATO. The cushions in XB were changed to energy absorbing foam as one of the first upgrades I made to the aircraft.

Rob P