The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Hi

Get my SE2 today and hope to fly with it at the weekend so a week of “playing” ahead of me.

Just curious if anyone has any hits n tips or things they wish they knew sooner to help with my use of it

Thanks
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It just works! (mostly)
What have I learnt:
1) If you add Flarm to your Skydemon account you have to logout/login to activate this. Flarm is short range, so you'll only see gliders when close.
2) iOS and Android both have quirks about maintaining a stable WiFi connection to the SkyEcho:
On some Android devices you have to disable 'Switch to mobile data' to keep connected to a WiFi connection like Skyecho that has no internet;
On iOS you need to give Skydemon permission to access the WiFi network.
You may need to manually connect to the Skyecho network if other networks are around (E.g. club house network)
3) There's increasing clutter from aircraft on the ground
By Fellsteruk
malcolmfrost wrote:Put it outside when you start it for the first time or when it hasn't been used for a while as it needs to acquire a GPS lock which takes time and much longer indoors.

Thanks for that currently have it on a window for past five mins but no GPS lock yet :( which is odd because my phone can get GPS will leave it see how it goes
By Fellsteruk
rikur_ wrote:It just works! (mostly)
What have I learnt:
1) If you add Flarm to your Skydemon account you have to logout/login to activate this. Flarm is short range, so you'll only see gliders when close.
2) iOS and Android both have quirks about maintaining a stable WiFi connection to the SkyEcho:
On some Android devices you have to disable 'Switch to mobile data' to keep connected to a WiFi connection like Skyecho that has no internet;
On iOS you need to give Skydemon permission to access the WiFi network.
You may need to manually connect to the Skyecho network if other networks are around (E.g. club house network)
3) There's increasing clutter from aircraft on the ground

Will be iOS so I’ll keep that in mind, I’m gonna be testing on a iPad mini without data but also have an iPhone which I use as backup

Thanks
By malcolmfrost
Fellsteruk wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:Put it outside when you start it for the first time or when it hasn't been used for a while as it needs to acquire a GPS lock which takes time and much longer indoors.

Thanks for that currently have it on a window for past five mins but no GPS lock yet :( which is odd because my phone can get GPS will leave it see how it goes

Your phone is probably using AGPS (Assisted GPS), mobile and WiFi signals to get a preliminary lock which speeds up the process.
By Fellsteruk
How many does it need to lock position, SE2 is saying it has no fix but “GPS sats=3” I’d have thought three would give a potion

I may have to go for a walk with it as hanging out the window isn’t working which does make me wonder how much better it will be in a tin can
By Paul_Sengupta
And your phone will have had a recent lock, and thus downloaded the almanac.

Putting it by a window generally isn't great, as 1) if you have Pilkington K glass or similar, it's a metallic coating which shields the RF, 2) The rest of the house is blocking the signal. Put the device out in the open for half an hour. Maybe charge it first! :D

As well as 4 satellites for a 3D lock, it'll need time to download stuff. If you then use it regularly, it won't take nearly as much time each time you use it.
By malcolmfrost
Fellsteruk wrote:How many does it need to lock position, SE2 is saying it has no fix but “GPS sats=3” I’d have thought three would give a potion

I may have to go for a walk with it as hanging out the window isn’t working which does make me wonder how much better it will be in a tin can

It will be fine, in my group PA28 I stick it on the Windscreen at the top and by the time I've fired up Skydemon it's locked on. However in the Tower at Popham it's been inside for hours and not got a lock!
By Fellsteruk
Great thanks people.

Last question for now, do I need/should I enable ADBS out?

I rent and either aircraft only has an A/C transponder.

Thanks
By TopCat
malcolmfrost wrote:Yes, otherwise you will see but not be seen! You will also be able to see your flights on Flight Radar 24.

Need to set the correct reg too.