The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Hey everyone,

Until recently I had a DC headset like my instructor but would struggle to hear the radio “intercom was fine” managed to find a good level my headset would be on full the radio volume on about 70% and my instructor would turn his headset down not to go deaf.

Now I have Zulu3 with much more volume control but I’m not sure I’m using it correctly as my instructor who I was with the other day was being blown away yet at times I was still struggling and tend to have to keep fiddle with radio volume.

When I plug in and get started what’s the best way to work it... should I be setting my headset volume to say 50% and then turn radio up to loud enough to hear and then leave the radio alone then if I change to a quieter station just dial up my headset but leave the radio?

Thanks
All (as far as I know) comms radios have a pull/push to test facility that generates white noise. Why not use that whilst you and your instructor fiddle with both the intercom and headsets' individual volume controls to find a level that works for you both?

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If does depend on aircraft and if intercom squelch is correct.
If you don't have noise cancelling headphones
it can be hard to notice the intercom squelch but once you have them, if set wrong, the lack of squelch will remove all the noise cancelling benefit.
Also my experience of the Zulu 2 is my mic is more sensitive than some, so squelch needs set higher.