The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By whatnameso
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anyone familiar with or using the SmartASS airspeed voice alert system? A search of the forum shows it hasn't been discussed in a while. Is it something you'd recommend?
By MikeW
That's a bit like saying fitting an SE2 is a great opportunity missed to fit an adsb out transponder!
Matters of cost, approval and so on come into it.
Yes I would prefer an aoa indicator. Tell me how I can fit one for the same price and without an extensive flight test schedule and I'll do it straight away.
In the meantime I think this is a useful addition.

Edit
I'm very tempted by this https://experimentalavionics.com/angle- ... lone-unit/
Putting the electronics together is easy, the problem part is sorting out a probe and then doing an LAA mod to fit it and test it.
By BobD
I would agree the SmartAss is an excellent piece of kit, and like MikeW, I have it fitted to my Europa, and it works very well.

I am in the fortunate position of aso having anAoA indicator on my Dynon Skyview. @MikeW I was able to use another standard Europa static/pitot probe, suitably sleeved with a tube cut with an appropriate angle over the pitot part, and attached via a metal plate to the inspection panel on the opposite wing to the normal pitot/static probe. This saved me digging another hole in the wing, and I was lucky in that the wing had a conduit down its length that I was able to use for the plumbing. PM me if you want the full MOD details
MikeW liked this