The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Rob P
We are coming up to battery replacement on the RV and I just thought I would check the latest thinking here.

Do Gel batteries offer any benefits over conventional types?

Are equivalent batteries available from other suppliers without the "Rich b*st*rd aviators" surcharge of aviation suppliers?

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Do Gel batteries offer any benefits over conventional types?

Yes, they don't let the acid run out if you turn them upside down.

Rob P wrote:Are equivalent batteries available from other suppliers without the "Rich b*st*rd aviators" surcharge of aviation suppliers?

Depends on what battery you have. Maybe do a search for Odyssey for gel ones.
Sooty25 liked this
By Ben Twings
Odyssey PC 680 is the most popular in most RVs. It's AGM and not expensive.

But if you want to save 10 lbs and get better starting performance then the EarthX is a very good option.

Not cheap, but mine is still working like new after over 3 years and it took the weight out where it did the most good for my CG.
Bathman, bogopper, Nick liked this
1984, Honeymoon, XS 750 toppled over in S Ireland. A week later in the far west the charging failed (acid on rectifier/regulatot) limped home throwing myself at the mercy of garages' battery chargers.

c 2015, VFR800 knocked over overnight outside house. No ill effects whatsoever, gel battery.

When I went to look at KATI I was panicking, "Shouldn't we put some charge into the battery...." Despite having stood for several months the Odyssey battery still provided plenty of oomph and she fired and ran. I was astounded.
By MikeW
Not gel.
Odyssey etc are SLA - sealed lead acid - for which the industry approved standard term is now Valve Regulated Lead Acid.
Gel is NOT the same and you do not want it!
For Rotax size loads you can get good SLA motorcycle batteries, not as outstanding as Odyssey but adequate and a lot cheaper.
I can't comment on the lithium ones, my battery industry experience didn't include those, I just get touchy about the SLA/gel confusion!
Ben Twings wrote:Odyssey PC 680 is the most popular in most RVs...
But if you want to save 10 lbs and get better starting performance then the EarthX is a very good option.

We took a look at EarthX, but in the end went for another 680. The last one performed well for three years despite the stresses of long lockdown lay offs, and as I'd already saved 17lb by eating less the weight saving didn't seem good value for the tripling in cost.

But thanks, it was the alternatives we were interested to identity.

Rob P
By Ben Twings
Rob P wrote: I'd already saved 17lb by eating less the weight saving didn't seem good value for the tripling in cost.

Rob P

I remember talking to a CubCrafters rep who commented that they would consider up to $300-400 for a 1 lb. weight saving.

If you could save 200 lbs. weight you could add another passenger or 33 gallons of fuel or get incredible take-off and climb performance, which would easily justify the $60-70K cost.
They effectively took 250 lbs. out of the weight of a SuperCub.

So £200 extra for an 11 lb weight saving seems like a bargain.