The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By C1FF
I am looking to replace a 17 year old AK 350 altitude encoder that occasionally spikes 200 - 300ft (over reads). The Grey code wiring / connectors all appear good.

The ACK A30 mod 9 (inc RS232 output) appears to be the normal replacement for the AK 350 however it appears to still use old technology and requires a warm up albeit less than the AK 350.

The digital baro alt systems (Garmin, Dynon etc) seem to be very accurate with no warm up.

Has anyone come across an encoder that uses the new technology with a standard RS232 output compatible with a mode S transponder?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
C1FF wrote:Has anyone come across an encoder that uses the new technology with a standard RS232 output compatible with a mode S transponder?

I ditched my AmeriKing and replaced it with a digital Trans-Cal model when I upgraded to a TT31 about ten years ago.

http://trans-cal.com

They are much more reliable, and you get a good long warranty - 30 months IIRC. Trans-Cal's customer service is also excellent.
C1FF liked this
By C1FF
CloundHound
I have recently fitted a Trig TT31 ( less than 6 months old.) My understanding is that only the "instrument" size Trig transponder has a built in encoder.
It would be great if Trig did a stack transponder with built in encoder.
By C1FF
GrahamB
I have fitted a Trans Cal SSD120 30N RS232.
I used the RS232 serial port thereby getting rid of the previous Grey scale wiring and set 10ft resolution.
The calibration check was within 20ft of the altimeter without adjustment.
Seems to be a great piece of kit. Looking forward to fly it on or after 29 March
GrahamB liked this