The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Calling any Garmin GNC255 radio users...

So I’ve been re-reading the manual which states the above has automatic decoding of Morse code for VOR/LOC with the identifier code being shown in the bottom left below the selected frequency.

However I’ve never seen anything appear, the manual doesn’t mention anything about enabling it just that it’s an automatic feature.

Do you have to wait a certain time before it displays or turn something on?
By Fellsteruk
Lol, we’ll I hope you enjoy your two GNC255’s :)

On a related note which I feel you may know....?

I’ve just got a backup handheld radio in the event I have a comms failure and listen to the RT whilst sat outside the airfield like the sad spotter I am.

I want to load it with frequencies easy enough with Yaesu software but is there a list of all active frequencies? I thought I’d find it in AIP but all I could get was all the Nav aids which is useful as my radio also have Nav, am I missing something in the AIP?

My backup is make my own list but thought this would be quicker to copy,paste, tweak and upload.
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't know of any such list but I bet someone has one somewhere! For a start, you could look at the column on the left - VFR Charting Resources and select Frequency Reference Cards. You will have to load them into the radio manually but it might be worth 'copy' each set of numbers then paste them into the software that is able to load such things into the radio. http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... d=340.html
By Ben Twings
This sounds odd as I have a GNC255 and it displays the ident by reading the morse.
For a database to work it would have to know where you are as VOR and LOC frequencies are not unique to one station as long as there's no overlap of coverage areas.

Occasionally when the ident is weak you get some spurious characters appearing.

Sometimes you need to be fairly close for the ident to be strong enough for it to work.

I wasn't aware of anything in the set up to specifically enable it
By Fellsteruk
Ben Twings wrote:This sounds odd as I have a GNC255 and it displays the ident by reading the morse.
For a database to work it would have to know where you are as VOR and LOC frequencies are not unique to one station as long as there's no overlap of coverage areas.

Occasionally when the ident is weak you get some spurious characters appearing.

Sometimes you need to be fairly close for the ident to be strong enough for it to work.

I wasn't aware of anything in the set up to specifically enable it

Was south east of Southport way this week and tested it on both wallasey and Manchester vor was no more than 20miles out, I could hear the Morse and checked it against my SD plog so managed even without knowing morse :lol:
By GrahamB
When you tune the STBY position to VOR station, the system displays the ident from the database.

It needs to be connected to a GPS position source to be able to do the clever stuff with distance from the VOR and automatically displaying the correct ident from the database.