The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By rdfb
smokescreen wrote:I also have the Fireangel 9D and just re-insert the two pronged key after flight that has to be removed to activate the detector.

I had been doing that, but one time whatever is inside the holes the key connected to broke loose and rattled around inside. So I got it replaced and then stopped doing that.

I also don't think it'd be practical to insert during flight.
By AirGus
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FORENSICS-Vehi ... =ss&sr=1-1

I have been using this one for more than a year and I recommend it.

Image from over a year ago.

Two days ago, I did a PPL revision, during this flight there was no CO detected while cruising nor when using the heater, however when we simulated engine failure by reducing power to idle (PFL exercise) after a while (descended from 3500 until 1000) the reading increased to 59ppm which was a good warning to open the windows and go around. I ended up having a mild headache later that night.

As FI I am worried not only about the killing CO exposure but also about the constant exposure to small contamination at the end of a working day, those won’t kill you but will give you at least an annoying headache later in the evening.
By having an actual reading of CO, it helps me to anticipate to the situation (like opening the windows on certain ac for example that C172 during slow exercise and sometimes taxing the low wing AC) not only it allows me to anticipate the issue by aborting, if necessary, the flight, the exercise or simply by opening the windows to freshen up for few seconds to avoid a headache later. It also helps me to detect early something that is not right in order to report it to the mechanics before it gets worse.
By Sooty25
rdfb wrote:
smokescreen wrote:I also have the Fireangel 9D and just re-insert the two pronged key after flight that has to be removed to activate the detector.

I had been doing that, but one time whatever is inside the holes the key connected to broke loose and rattled around inside. So I got it replaced and then stopped doing that.

I also don't think it'd be practical to insert during flight.

The wires on the back of that, is what you connect the toggle switch to.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One can calibrate ones response to an alert using the following guide:

35ppm
The maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for healthy adults in any 8 hour period, as recommended by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

200ppm
Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea after 2 - 3 hours

400ppm
Frontal headaches within 1 - 2 hours, life threatening after 3 hours

800ppm
Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes
Unconsciousness within 2 hours
Death within 2 - 3 hours

Whilst ones individual tolerance to minor exposure may vary, it’s as important not to overreact by panicking as it is to respond promptly when CO levels are of concern.
AirGus liked this
By rdfb
GrahamB wrote:200ppm

400ppm

Just be careful. "Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness" sounds like a half hour diversion to a suitable aerodrome might be appropriate, but the description says nothing about what your ability to control and land an aircraft is going to be like after that half hour diversion. With the accompanying hypoxia, my understanding is that you are likely to misjudge your own ability at the time, too.
By GrahamB
rdfb wrote:
GrahamB wrote:200ppm

400ppm

Just be careful. "Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness" sounds like a half hour diversion to a suitable aerodrome might be appropriate, but the description says nothing about what your ability to control and land an aircraft is going to be like after that half hour diversion. With the accompanying hypoxia, my understanding is that you are likely to misjudge your own ability at the time, too.

I agree entirely, but my point is that 2-3 hours gives plenty of time for prompt action, without panicking and losing your grasp of the situation.
By MikeW
rdfb wrote:
I made a 3D printed mount for this particular device if anyone wants one.

Mine is just on Velcro currently - a bit wobbly. Could you post a pic of your mount for it please?
If it looks appropriate my grandson could probably do me one if you will share the file.
Thanks.
Mike
By rdfb
MikeW wrote:
rdfb wrote:

Mine is just on Velcro currently - a bit wobbly. Could you post a pic of your mount for it please?
If it looks appropriate my grandson could probably do me one if you will share the file.

This attaches to the detector snugly using the same holes it uses to mount onto a wall . Of course that's only one half of it. The other half has to connect to something on your aircraft and that will depend on what you have available. In my case, it attaches into a 0.5" NPT thread hole that our tablet holder already has, that I designed and 3D printed also.

I believe, but am not sure, that the lugs will connect to GoPro mounts. I made it compatible with the modular mounting system.

I'd be happy to print one and drop it in the post the next time I have my printer out.
By MikeW
rdfb wrote:
MikeW wrote:
rdfb wrote:

I'd be happy to print one and drop it in the post the next time I have my printer out.

Thanks for the details and very kind offer, much appreciated but I don't think it would help me.
I hope you can get lots of use out of it soon!
Mike