The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By ArthurG
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm having a long overdue panel refresh done in a Grumman Tiger. Among the upgrades is a modern audio panel. The engineer has posed the question: "Do you want it wired for stereo, or is it alright as is?" My initial reaction was that I have no need for stereo, I won't be playing music as I consider it an unnecessary distraction while flying. On thinking further, I had a look at my Richard Holder/DC ANR headsets and found the jacks to be stereo versions. This left me feeling less sure of the best approach.

I'd be grateful for any guidance from someone who has been down this road recently.
By Gas Guzzler
I wired mine for stereo as unlike you I do listen to music on longer flights. However unless you want to do this there is little point. Except that if you sell the aircraft in the future it may be an asset.
ArthurG liked this
By Dino
Modern Trig radios, and possibly others, route different inputs to left or right ears.
So although you may not want 'stereo', having the ability to seperate left and right can be useful
ArthurG, T67M liked this
By T67M
I use stereo for ATIS+LARS, ATIS+Tower or even for Director+Traffic simultaneous listening watch when operating out of hours. Very useful at times, if your audio panel and headset support it. Just be careful if the passenger's headset is mono though as it can short out one ear in your headset depending on how is all wired and which audio panel you select
ArthurG liked this