The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By dunny
Morning all,

I have been watching quite a lot of US flying videos recently and have noticed that many of the US aircraft used in these videos (mainly for fairly ambitious trips) have had quite a bit of retro fitted glass cockpit kit.

A number seem to have the touchscreen Garmin GTN 650 Xi series kit in but this doesnt appear to be certified for use on EASA aircraft as far as I can tell.

Much of the EASA fleet I have seen retrofitted have the GNS 530/430 options in but of course these aren't touch screen and are becoming a bit dated maybe now.

Are there touch screen options certified for use on EASA Aircraft??

One interesting thing I saw on one video was the complete failure of 2 Aspen screens due to a bit of pitot icing. It seemed to take the whole lot down and only came back up after application of pitot heat and a re-cycle - not a great design!!

Thanks

D
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have had an older touchscreen GTN650 for a few years now.
It is very good if you take the time to learn how it all works, and there is a lot of it. There is also a continuing cost to maintain databases. It is IFR mainly but has its uses for vfr.

Would we fit one again - personally I wouldn't, but then I am a vfr pilot, and most of our pilots use SkyDemon now.
By Trent772
We had a long chat with Dynon at Sun n Fun last year. They like to work with Avidyne, so we went to their stand. Indeed, the two are a good match. They understand each other. What impressed us was the Avidyne remote iPad interface. You can get the basic 440 and integrate it with your iPad to give a full function iPad sized display in either real time or back at home.

It was quite something !
By Rob P
^^^^^^ And people complain about eighty quid for SkyDemon :shock:

Rob P