The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk
Looking at getting the above but after research on here and elsewhere I’ve learnt that the WiFi one doesn’t have GPS which means you have to get a cellular one.

I’m wondering if a smarter option would be a WiFi iPad but with a sky echo so I get both GPS and traffic a bit more but more benefits.

Just keen to get some real world thoughts...
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am responding on a mini iPad with cellular capability which runs SkyDemon as one of a myriad applications and the value of convenience is huge. I just stick it in a holder on the yoke, download flight plan from the cloud and tap go flying.
By Miscellaneous
@pplmeir makes a very valid point. After my experience of incredibly inaccurate GPS last week (although I am not convinced it was solely GPS receiver position) being able to position the GPS receiver independent of the iPad is a good idea. :thumright:

I played with the position of my Bad Elf today, had 23 satellites available and using 21 of them. Options to reposition my panel mounted iPad are more limited.
By Paul_Sengupta
Have you considered a Samsung S2 8.0? From about £100 on e-bay, and a better tablet (in my opinion) than the iPad. (though I'm comparing it with the iPad Mini 4, this might not be the case for the newer 5). Both cellular and non cellular have GPS.

I'd suggest a PilotAware anyway though, for the traffic....
Rob P, Nick liked this
By Tonybishop
I've flown with an iPad mini and SkyDemon for several years. Wouldn't take off without it, even though I have mapping on my GRT EFIS. I've recently added a SkyEcho2, and now feel much happier in the difficult areas around London. I've also paid for the Flarm licence, so now see ADSB aircraft and gliders - often before I spot them visually.
By Flying_john
You can get an Ipad mini with Sim card that has a GPS built in, but if you are buying an ADSB receiver then you can use its GPS for your own position.

We use the Stratux ADSB receiver that connects to both Skydemon and RunwayHD using GDL90 and you may configure it for reception of ADSB, FLARM and Pilot Aware. You just add the number of receiver chips according to which electronic conspicuity systems you want to receive.

Stratux (shareware) has come on in leaps and bounds since the European version was launched and with nice boxes readily available it is now a professional looking bit of kit.