The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Red
I have a couple of red smoke flares that are out of date, I believe the best method of disposal is to set them off, which I wish to do at 23:00 GMT tommorow (January 31st 2020) :thumright: :D

Do I need to inform anyone?
By Rob L
They work perfectly well beyond their "use by" date, so don't "dispose" of them until you feel the need. :D

I have some from 1996 that I set off last year...they all worked just fine!
By Red
I knew someone would get that one in :D

P.S. Rob I'm not a Rich man, you have me reconsidering and I will re-appraise this decision after googling the Price of new Flares.

(Cue: "how much is your life worth" or advice on Fashionable Strides)
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Interesting I have a pack of 9 which expired last year:

I was saving them for Nov 5th but may well reconsider
By Trent772
My distress will cease at 22:59:59 and I will be releasing ordnance and opening a bottle of British fizz to celebrate :pirat:
Rob L liked this
By Korenwolf
PeteSpencer wrote:Interesting I have a pack of 9 which expired last year:

I was saving them for Nov 5th but may well reconsider

Just take them to your next footy match and flog them at the gate :lol:
By Trent772
Many, many years ago, my Bro was at Nordhorn in Germany, the weapons range. It was an interesting place to watch all sorts of stuff unleash their ordnance. I visited once and watched a Tornado come down the range dropping retard bombs. One didn't deploy its fins. Quite interesting to see this bomb enter the soil, rebound from the clay layer and launch after the Tonka !

Anyhow, it was also a designated munitions disposal area, one day, this truck pulls up and one of the chaps comes in to see Bro to say we have an unusual delivery....

It was a truck load of Sidewinder motors for disposal !

Apparently, they went very, very well :pirat:
By Boxkite
Dusty_B wrote:Don't do it near an airport, waterways, sea, ports, harbours, or riot police.

Opinions of 'near' will vary of course.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was in the Vieux Port, Marseille one Bastille Day. The public pyrotechnics were battling between those on the Foreign Legion fort at one end of the marina and the rock wall at the other, whilst the crowd were doing their bit with bangers on the quayside and expired maroons and flares from the vessels alongside.

It was magnificent, albeit not even nodding towards the letters "H" and "S".

Walking back to the hotel afterwards was like walking through a wood in a dry autumn, except that rather than brushing feet through piles of leaves they were brushing through piles of spend cardboard. :shock:
By Boxkite
Red wrote:I have a couple of red smoke flares that are out of date, I believe the best method of disposal is to set them off, which I wish to do at 23:00 GMT tommorow (January 31st 2020) :thumright: :D

Do I need to inform anyone?

If you've got a couple of in-date ones, nothing wrong with having a couple of out-of-day ones as back-up.

I assisted in setting off several boxfuls (parachute and rocket types :D ),we let the local police and coastguard know.