The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
I don't have a Lycoming but since I also don't have a primer or a starter I have no choice but to pull through on cold days unless I only want to fly in summer.
Perhaps VW are better at manufacturing camshafts than Lycoming but I suspect FD is right in that 'cold' to Lycoming means mid-West continental USA 'cold' and not mildly chilly UK 'cold'.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Yes, ‘extreme cold’ in the USA means something different to what we would generally experience in the UK.

Like us with our regularly repeating clipboard/tablet/headset/paper chart topics, US forums have theirs on ‘which preheating method to use’.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
GrahamB wrote:Like us with our regularly repeating clipboard/tablet/headset/paper chart topics, US forums have theirs on ‘which preheating method to use’.

Aren't we lucky! Imagine having to discuss that sort of stuff - give me a clipboard discussion any day!
Our old Tigre used to burn/dribble/breathe around half a litre of AeroShell every hour, so needed constant topping up. More when doing aeros.

We added a priming port with a quick-connect fitting, T'd in after the oil pump. This allowed us to pump warm oil directly in through the galleries before each first start of the day rather than just pouring it cold into the tank. The whole process of hand starting an old engine invariably means pulling through a series of blades so you can't avoid wiping the bearings, but at least we had fresh, warm oil everywhere and instant oil pressure.

Many large diesel engines as used in ships and trains etc, have electric oil priming pumps to circulate oil before cranking. Often wondered why so few other applications have adopted this. Is it just cost?
rf3flyer wrote:I suspect FD is right in that 'cold' to Lycoming means mid-West continental USA 'cold' and not mildly chilly UK 'cold'.

You might be surprised. I once went to top off my oil with a bottle that had been stored in the aeroplane. Temperatures were slightly below freezing. When I tried to pour the oil in, multigrade no less, it poured like golden syrup. It's been a torture to me ever since to think of starting my engine with the oil in such a state. If only I had an hangar with electricity where I could plug in a pre-heater!

I've vaguely contemplated one of those diesel heater things to run for 15 mins before starting the engine, but it's only a vague idea at the moment.
The club I used to rent from near Montreal had household fan heaters permanently installed within the cowlings and permanently running (with full blankets around the cowlings) when the aircraft were in the hangar.
And also when in the hangars, a household bulb mounted on a plinth sitting on the cockpit floor to keep the instruments dry.