The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looking for some advice from any avionics gurus on here.

Can a G5 only be used as a HSI when connected to a Garmin radio or can it talk to a Bendix 165A? I can't find any info that says either way. The Garmin info just mentions connecting to a GNS or GTN (naturally enough) but doesn't mention if other makes are possible. I think it is possible via ARINC but I don't know much about it.

Thanks
Dek
By GrahamB
The section in the installation manual detailing the interconnection and config details for the G5 in HSI mode and VHF navigators only refers to either the Garmin GNC255 or the SL30.
By FlightDek
Thanks Graham

I noticed that about the G5 but just wondering if it is just them pushing their own radios. Seems a bit restrictive if it can only work with Garmin radios

Dek
By riverrock
The G5 is designed to get a digital in/out signal via RS232 for glideslope, localiser, OBS and flags.
The Benedix provides individual analogue signals so isn't compatible.
Apparently the new Trig NavCom will be able to drive a G5. However we'll believe it when we see it!
By PaulSS
Seems a bit restrictive if it can only work with Garmin radios

I think this is one of the most oft-heard comments with Garmin. They make lovely kit but they don't play nicely with anyone else. Feeding info to/from something like a Dynon Skyview is far easier and more likely than anything that Garmin build.

It is a shame because I'd certainly buy a Garmin EFIS if it could talk to, say, a Trig radio and transponder. I don't like the design and clumsiness of the Garmin radios, so wouldn't have those. Thus I don't think I will ever have a Garmin EFIS.

I'm sure they lie in bed at night worrying about my lack of patronage :D