The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By MikeW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Vega range is probably too new to get reports with experience.
However I recently bought - from parts4aircraft - the previous model Infinity E3 engine monitor which has a monochrome display but exactly the same capabilities except no canbus. It seems very good but the information presentation is unavoidably a bit crowded. I am using it for 4 egt and 2 cht readings on a 912. It also gives Hobbes, flight time, rpm and volts. There is a multi parameter alarm on it.
I also bought a TP1 oil temp and pressure monitor. It does a very good job but I'm having a problem with intermittent display and it's going back under warranty. The electronics is fine as evidenced by the alarm working ok (set to flash a red led while oil temp is below 50) I expect it's a multi way connector problem to the LCD screen.
Subject to resolution of that I'm very happy. I get all those capabilities in 2 holes previously occupied by a Westach egt and a Westach cht (having replaced a 582 with a 912) at much lower cost than any efis system.
By Sooty25
Thanks @MikeW that sounds promising, I'm actually only after EGT, CHT and volts, but would no doubt end up using some of the other features.
By MikeW
On the E-3, V only displays when rpm=0, it cycles with Hobbes and flight time.
However you can manually select it at any time, and you can also set high and low limits for the alarm.
If that alarm goes I imagine it will switch to display V or you won't know what the alarm is.
I'm guessing the Vega will be operationally the same but can't guarantee it. Can you download the manual for it?
By MikeW
javascript:window.open('http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/downloads/vegaems-1.pdf','HLWindow1','toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes');void(0);

Some nice new facilities in it!
By Sooty25
Well, it certainly seems like a vote of confidence. It will be interesting to hear how the warranty problem is resolved. Keep us posted on that.

Manual certainly makes the EMS look like the way to. If I do I'll let you know how I get on with it.
By MikeW
The TP-1 warranty question is left a bit open at the moment.
The LCD display was misbehaving. Taking up to 10 minutes to come on and on the final occasion, displaying in mirror image, reading from right to left! Can't explain that.
This was during Nov/Dec when it was pretty cold and very wet and the polytunnel - with no floor on saturated clay ground - was streaming with condensation all the time. I was just getting the plane out for ground runs when I could.
The spec for the TP-1 only allows for <85%RH non-condensing and conditions were far worse than that!
After a bit of time in the warmth at home, it worked perfectly again.
The Distributor had said send it back and he would check the ribbon cable connector to the display was secure. I've done that myself anyway. There were no seals to stop you removing the case.
We've agreed that sending it back now won't achieve anything and will further delay my test flights.
I will refit it this week and see how it goes and send it back if the fault recurs. I don't expect it to unless we get such awful conditions again.
So I'm slightly disappointed, but it's a relatively low price instrument, not MIL spec.
The E-3 hasn't faltered. I'm still impressed with it and the colour display would be nicer.
By Sooty25
Thanks for the detailed explaination @MikeW.

Environmental protection is an expensive issue to resolve if you want the paperwork to back it, I've worked with electronics in harsh environments for over 30 years now, so I can understand why MGL haven't gone for full IP/CFR rating.

Not sure how to tackle your condensation issue other than trying to rig some ventilation to blow through the tunnel.

EMS is happening, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Did you get a PM from me the other day?
By Sooty25
Red wrote:@Sooty25
How did you get on with the Vega EMS?.
I am considering one to free some panel space

with the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably go for the 3.125" Blaze version and get the bigger screen size, but the Vega size is manageable. It is very clear and bright, its just that the 4 bar graphs afor CHT & EGT are a bit small. It was installed in place of a dual EGT which was a bit iffy. I previously had no CHT. I'd suggest printing the image in the manual to scale and sticking it on your dash, just to see of the numbers and bars are big enough for you.

Mine is used on a Rotax 582, displaying Battery Volts, 2 x CHT, 2 x EGT, Water temp, and I'm using one additional Analog Input as a low fuel alarm controlled via a LED level switch in the fuel header tank located behind the seats.
All inputs have alarm levels set for high and low, and these trigger a large Red LED on the panel. The Low levels ensure minimum temps have been reached before take off.

It's all in and calibrated with the exception of water temp which is my next job. Water temp is piggybacked off the existing analog water temp gauge. The flexible set up allows both gauges to run off the single sensor.

This was fitted as a part of a quick reassembly of the aeroplane ready for last spring! That turned into a bit more than a reassembly and it is only now ready for test flight, just in time for short days and the strip to waterlog! Ground runs are all it has done, no in flight report as yet, but certainly promising.
Red liked this
By Red
Fitted the Blaze, good bit of kit.
I still prefer seperate steam gauges but if you have limited panel space its a bargain with some plus points over steam.
Very Clear display and having the ability to bring up the maximum readings from a flight is great When your breaking in an engine
I'm a little suspicious of the CHT readings but I think its down to the thermocouple being out of whack, i'll be trying another.
Sooty25 liked this
By Rob P
Just a thought. We had the EGL Extreme fitted by a shower of total incompetents, and it has taken us several years to unpick their work and get it operating properly (With huge support from Paul at Parts4Aircraft)

One of the most difficult to solve issues was errant CHT and EGT readings, correct sometimes and wildly out at others. We finally traced this to the RDAC in the engine bay overheating, a problem solved by simply directing cool air onto it.

Rob P
Red liked this
By Red
Thanks Rob, I am not using an RDAC, just plugged in direct.
I think the placement of the thermocouple cold junction is important in the same way the RDAC temperature is in its effect on readings, still experimenting