The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
thegasguy wrote:...I'm intrigued by the idea of audio, I agree heads- down is counter productive.
A variable tone similar to glider varios use would work well , although I used to find that it was blooming irritating.
For me, it would have to be used on final only.

leave it turned off and just add it to your downwind checks. - "turn on AOA Audio"
Funny how the simpler issue in the thread title about tube size has not been addressed...

Tube size will not have any effect on the pressure from one end to the other. In an extreme case it can affect the flow rate; therefore the speed at which a pressure change at one end will affect the pressure detected at the other, but it would have to be a mighty small tube or a rapid change in pressure to make a difference.
Thanks boxkite; that was my understanding.
As a proof of just that, the pitot on my Jodel is tiny in diameter. Probably half that of a drinking straw, while a friend's is quite clearly a bit of 15mm copper pipe.
Both obviously work ok.
I'm going to use small pipe as it lighter and I'm hoping to avoid hoovering up water as the sensor apparently doesn't like that.
I don't fly in the rain so it might last. Who knows?
The holes in my wing upper and lower skin for the AFS AoA are very small. And the top one has a drain to it.

On the rest of the thread. There is a display that turns on when slower than the cruise AoA and a verbal warning just before the stall. I would like the display to be bigger. But I don’t like the idea of continuous bleeping .

AoA is a great bit of kit.
GolfHotel; interesting, a drain would get around the water ingress problem - but my tiny brain can't compute how to arrange one without letting the air out!
The display turning itself on at appropriate moments would be awesome, no way can I do that yet.
In fact - I can't make it display anything yet, but the wet winter drags on and it's fun pottering.
The drain involves sticking a piece of wire into a second hole in the lower wing and pressing a drain valve. I’ve never in 4 years got anything out. But I have been known to put a bit of sticking plaster over it if leaving it outside.

BTW. Don’t forget the flaps change the AoA.

Mine says “Angle Angle push” just before the stall and keeps repeating until normal AoA is returned. This can be cancelled with a single button push if you are intending to fly in the buffet for a while.
I see, a non-automatic drain. I don't know why I assumed differently;daft of me.
I have no flaps, or anything much else, to worry about; Jodels are pretty simple aeroplanes to operate and pilots have managed just fine for 60 years plus, but there are times when an idea of AOA would be handy.
For example, it's easy to get into a 'back of the drag curve' stable, very high sink rate descent on short final. If you then drop below tree height and lose some headwind it can be tricky to arrest said rate of descent, while avoiding speeding up too much.
I'm assuming the AOA display would give a warning of this developing?
Landing at a White Waltham today was a bit downwind I think. It would have been easy to feel too fast over the ground and get a little low on airspeed. Again, I'm assuming AOA displayed would help?
I hope so after all the effort I'm putting in !
AoA will definitely help maintain a safe airspeed. (its the AoA that is more important, maintaining airspeed is an attempt to maintain a safe AoA.)

AoA won't warn of anything really. But it will give you a tool to manage airspeed, including letting you know as you approach the stall, so thats a sort of warning. You will need to react to adjust the throttle and or pitch.

I don't look at air speed much at low speed. AoA is much easier and more accurate. I really hope it works for you and you like it.