The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By onedaypro
Can anybody recommend a portable GPS receiver for my iPad? I've looked at the Garmin Glo and this seems to be an affordable option. At the moment I'm just using the GNS 430 in the C152 I fly via my flying school/club. As I've just got my PPL I'll want to go on some slightly more complex adventures as opposed to just flying locally. Thus I suspect I'll eventually be pairing the GPS receiver with Sky Demon or similar.
By Nick T
We've got a PilotAware in the Shareoplane, and it's a cracking bit of kit.

As a backup I have a Garmin GLO in my flight bag. Has worked a charm on the occasions when the PAW has gone down for whatever reason.
By Graham56
I use the Bad Elf Pro. I hand it on its strap around my neck and bluetooth it to the iPad. Works like a dream and I never have any problems with losing lock or anything like that.

I am in an open cockpit though, so I don't know how good it would be under tin.

I'm trying to find space for PAW , so when that's up and running I suppose I'll change to that as a prime source.

Cheers

Graham
By PaulSS
I, too, recommend the Bad Elf for someone who has no other GPS input into their iPad. The thing lasts ages on one charge and can be paired to six devices (I seem to remember). The app is a bit of fun to play with as well, to get all the other info chucked out by the device. I believe you can have it plugged in to power and it will operate at the same time but don't quote me on that and mine is not handy to check on at the moment.
By onedaypro
In the end I opted for a Garmin Glo and used it this weekend. I only had a small budget and it was within my means. I used it flying from Newquay to Thruxton at the weekend and it was flawless. PilotAware looks great..
By pplmeir
A consideration with pilotaware is total loss of aircraft electrical power. The nice thing about iPad and Glo is they are charged so you can still navigate in that scenario. Do folk carry back up power for pilotaware?
By Nick T
For me, I have the PAW as the primary 'device', providing GPS info to my iPad. I then have a fully charged Garmin GLO in easy reach in case the PAW drops out. If that fails then I've got my iPhone. If all that fails then I've got the charts. :lol:

I also have a fully charged 8000mAh USB power bank, which I could use to either power the PAW, iPad or GLO if really needed. :thumleft:
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pplmeir wrote:A consideration with pilotaware is total loss of aircraft electrical power. The nice thing about iPad and Glo is they are charged so you can still navigate in that scenario. Do folk carry back up power for pilotaware?

My PAW is velcro strapped to a power bank with about 12 hours capacity.
By Rob P
Pilot Aware every time - then I can see you and you can see me.

No-brainer.

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If you buy the right model Ipad (with Wifi& Cellular) it has its own built in GPS which works just fine.

Or any android based tablet for 1/3 of the price.