The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
Decided to replace my Funke ATR500 radio and replace it with the ATR833S today to comply with the new regulations soon to come into force. Having already submitted my 20% rebate claim and the necessary paperwork it looked like this should be fairly straightforward compared to the paperwork! Old unit out, new unit in. I admit that I am not an avionics engineer but it didn't look too complicated to me! All went well until I put on my headset. Intercom no longer appears to work and no sidetone! There is a cable adapter that needs to be used as they have a different size D-SUB connector plug. I have checked all the settings and all appears to be OK. Has anyone using the same set-up had any similar operational issues with their install? Any help gratefully received!
I have got to do ours. I did the same thing thinking it would be an easy swap...but looks like I'll have to get the soldering iron out as they have gone from 15 pin to 21 pin DSub.:(. No room for the adaptor as not enough depth behind control panel.
Iain
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I changed my ATR500 for the ATR833S and it took quite some knob twirling until I was happy with it. The adapter required cable ties around the spring clips, as it was not totally secure without them.

You say all you have checked all the settings, but have you checked the configuration described on page 24 of the manual?
Farmstripflyer

I had exactly the same issue as you when updating from the ATR500 to the ATR833S in our Sport Cruiser - no side tone for either seat when transmitting (intercom was ok).
After much messing about and swearing over a few weeks I discovered it was a combination of two things.

Firstly, the new radio didn’t like my 26 year old David Clark H10-40 headset. If my headset was plugged in (either side) then there was no side tone when transmitting. If I just used my wife’s much newer (10 yrs old) David Clark H10-13.4 headset on its own with nothing else plugged in then side tone worked ok. Solution: bought another DC H10-13.4

Second cause of no side tone turned out to be when using the External In cable that’s part of the adapter plug used to join the two different D Sub connectors of the old and new radios. If we have anything plugged into the External cable (eg a phone or MP3 player for music) then we are back to no side tone when transmitting. Still haven’t sorted this apart from not using the External cable.

To sum up, we have no side tone when transmitting if we have anything plugged into the External In cable (doesn’t have to on or operating, just plugged in) or if we use ancient headsets!

Hope this helps.

Glynn
I've done an 833S installation from scratch with no adaptors. IIRC the intercom and side-tone were turned way down in volume by default. If it is not an obvious setting I would check the actual wiring, including the adaptor against the diagram in the manual.
We have an external input jack for PilotAware and no issues with side-tone because of this
I've noticed that there is a 'jumper' on the back of the cable converter and was wondering if this is in the wrong position for my intercom (PS Engineering and Bose headsets). I'll have to try a re-install with this in the alternative position and see if this helps?
BTW - thank's for the replies so far.
Well, after quite some time (I thought I'd let the Christmas shutdown get out of the way) I'm still no further forward with my 833 upgrade . The team at Harry M say that they have replicated the issue in their workshop and are in discussions with Funke but this really is dragging on now. I can't believe that I am the only person experiencing this problem. Can anyone recommend an avionics guru that may be able to assist? My nearest neighbouring airfield (EGSX) goes 833 in a few weeks so I really would like to get this sorted. Fairly standard panel set-up, FUNKE 833S, PS Engineering PM500EX intercom and Bose headsets. Everything works fine with the old 500 installed so I'm pretty sure that it must be the configuration of the plug adapter which you have to use with the new radio?
As HM have proved it is not your aircraft at fault, why not return the unit for a refund as not fit for purpose and select something else that works.
Given lots of aircraft missed the 31st Dec 2017 deadline for 8.33kHz, I would imagine the avionics gurus are still very busy sorting out that backlog so you will be lucky to get one anytime soon.

Good luck.
By riverrock
HM were great - kept us informed, and replicated the issue on their bench (wasn't easy to replicate) but Funke weren't giving them much to go on - wouldn't give HM a timeline for diagnosis / repair. Hopefully things have improved.
Just wanted to report that the great guys at Harry M, along with the tech guys at FUNKE in Germany, came up with a solution to my 833 radio upgrade problem. The solution involved soldering a diode into the wiring loom between the plug adapter and the intercom (PTT) pin and hey presto, all is well. I’m no electronics engineer so cutting into the wiring loom was a bit daunting but I followed the instructions and was very pleased with the outcome. Just need the weather to improve and the runway to dry out so I can use the thing!
kingbing liked this
Hi There
I have recently installed the ATR833 and am having the same issue, would it be possible to send over the instructions to rectify the issue danny <at> murchandbaker <dot> com
Thanks

Admins note: email address modified to protect from spam harvesting.
By patowalker
Are you replacing an ATR500? I had no problem upgrading to the ATR833S with the adapter, but it did take a lot of twiddling with the knobs to set it up correctly. It was a while before I realised sidetone and intercom volume are set up differently if the adapter is used, as explained on page 38 of the manual.