The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
Odyssey batteries are excellent and will recover from a lot of abuse.

I don't really see a need to trickle charge them. Their self discharge rate is very low for a lead acid battery. Assuming even just an occasional flight and a correct charging voltage, that should be enough to keep them happy. Overcharging can be just as detrimental as undercharging.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It appears from this that the Airflow will only work if the battery is still above 9V whereas the Optimate will charge from 2V up.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49263

Assuming things are as they were in 2007!

I've got several Optimates...if you want to borrow one Charles?

You've got more chance of winning the euro millions than bringing back a 12 volt lead/acid battery that measures 2v, in fact reviving one that measures 9 volts at rest is good going
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As has already been said, Odyssey batteries are extremely good and will withstand a lot of abuse. The PC 680 is an ideal size and weight for a small aircraft/Rotax912. They will repeatedly crank a BMW twin that has been standing outside in sub zero temps overnight. The new generation of lithium batteries are even better but need treating with respect. I have an Earth X unbelievably light and extremely powerful. Whatever you do though don't put an Optimate or similar near an Earth X you'll wreck it. Charge with a normal lead asid charger at 1-8 amps max for 1 hour max 2 hours if it should need it. Treat with respect there is a lot of energy in there. Yes pricey!

Hth. Nick.
For a lithium battery like an EarthX or similar it is important that you charge it very carefully or use one specifically designed for the job or you will definitely wreck it as previously mentioned.
I use the dedicated Optimate Lithium charger that EarthX recommend to avoid any such issues.
http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co. ... APEALw_wcB
Nick liked this
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's useful info S F.

When I got my first Earth X the instructions with it were as in my post above, so I can only assume that Optimate have designed this specifically for Earth X. As long as nothing is left draining the battery though it should not be required though. Mine have been very reliable.

Nick