The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
Well, my set just arrived. First impressions are good. The headset (not inc the breakout box) tips the scales at under 320g, so significantly lighter than the non-carbon older designs. It's comfortable too, but I won't know much more until I go flying on Monday.

I'm not best place to do a credible review as I am only 6 hours into my PPL, but my instructor is interested in getting a set to replace his sennheisers and we should be able to directly compare them to the passive David Clarke set I've been using until now.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
There's a test of the non-ANR SH40-10 in the Summer 2018 issue of FLYER - I thought the use of carbon fibre might be more visual benefit than a significant weight saving, but it's definitely worth it. The build quality is impressive too.

The carbon headset chassis with SEHT's ANR tech (that we trialled with the SH30-75 a year ago) probably makes for a good combo. I'll try and get one to test.
After a few trips, I can say the SEHT headset is pretty good. Light, comfortable, good passive noise reduction and the ANR is a big improvement on top. Audio quality for music is not that great - it sounds a bit like you're listening to your tunes over a landline. Still, it's nice to have a bit of ambient music on a solo flight when there's not much chatter on the radio. I haven't tested it for bluetooth calling yet, but I can see it being a useful alternative to asking the tower to call me a cab :lol:
By Cantabrigan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I bought the SH40-60 model a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with them having done two return trips now.

They are the carbon-fibre shell version but without the Bluetooth input, which I felt I didn't need and added £100 to the price. The light weight compared to my old Flightcom 4DLX can be felt just picking them up and they feel more comfortable after a 1hr+ flight.

The ANR is good at taking out low frequencies but less so at higher frequencies, so the tone of the noise changes. Nonetheless there is a significant drop in noise level when switching the ANR on and we can have the radio at a lower volume as a result.

My flying partner uses DC's ANR headset and there are no compatibility problems. Too early to comment on battery life yet. I ordered from the SEHT website and they arrived in a few days. Nice to see a small UK company doing a good product at significantly less than the big boys. :thumleft:

Cantabrigan
(and no I've not been paid to say any of that!)
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cantabrigan wrote:but without the Bluetooth input, which I felt I didn't need and added £100 to the price

Are you sure that's the only difference? I was under the impression the 40-60 had the same ANR as the 30-60, whereas the 40-80 had the same as the 30-75. The 30-75 ANR is much better than that in the 30-60.
By GSE
I bought a pair of the base model when my Bose died. I had a crackling mic which was sorted with better service than Bose, so no complaints there.

I changed to gel seals as with glasses they work much better than the leatherette type. I have a Bose A20 and a SEHT and I use the SEHT as its more rugged then the Bose.
I was going to buy a DC, but if somebody bought me a pair as a present, I wouldn't be disappointed, they are better than the base models transair etc sell.
Best wishes
Glen