The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By thegasguy
Where is a teenager when you need one?
This isn't really a SD enquiry- it's more to do with phones/SIM card /contracts, when applied as nav devices in aeroplanes.
I cant understand whether I can buy an old iphone to use, and leave, in the plane as a nav backup, without any sort of contract or SIM card.
I was thinking I could load SD at home via wifi, and then it would just use its gps- as does my actual mobile. No capability of calls or internet needed.
Occasional trip back home to update etc.
I use a Nexus 7 as primary SD nav, which works really well, and also have SD running on my mobile as a back-up.
I don't even open the case on most trips, but I have had to when the Nexus got too hot and shut down.
I find that the iPhone is vastly superior in speed of boot up and reliability, but of course is quite small.
However, I would prefer to have a dedicated backup that I leave on board, rather than flatten my mobile with all the faff of battery charging etc.
Question - will an 'unlocked', used, iphone connect to my wifi to load SD? ( with no SIM card or ' telephone number')
And will it ' know' it's logged in thereafter.
The nice chap in the shop says 'no' but was not able to comprehend I didn't want the 'tom tom' app, which relies on 'signal' but wanted it in a plane!
Apologies if this is too trivial a question, but I have reached the age where I know the words but not the tune, when it comes to I.T.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think yes and yes.

But you're only allowed to be logged on to two mobile devices at once on SD, so you'd have to choose which backup you wanted.

Also you'd need internet access to update NOTAMs and weather and stuff, not to mention airspace data.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I keep the Nexus at home and do notams, route planning etc etc on that, I only want a basic moving map ( with me in the middle of it) as backup - not even a magenta line.
I get to upgrade to iphone 7 in a few months so may not even need to purchase, it was the whole SIM card thing that confuses me.
I talk it that iPhones 'go' without one then?
By seanxair
I have an unlocked iPhone 4 or 4s here at home. No sim card and nothing related to any mobile network. I can certainly browse the internet on it. What I'm not sure about is if I can load Skydemon without an Apple ID, which I may have but is lapsed at best.
If you are in no hurry I'll give it a shot this week and let you know.
thegasguy wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.
I keep the Nexus at home and do notams, route planning etc etc on that, I only want a basic moving map ( with me in the middle of it) as backup - not even a magenta line.
I get to upgrade to iphone 7 in a few months so may not even need to purchase, it was the whole SIM card thing that confuses me.
I talk it that iPhones 'go' without one then?

I wouldn't be seen dead with an iPhone, but every Android phone I've had works on WiFi without a SIM card.
If all you truly want is you on a map, then Easy VFR basic could be what you need, it is free and backed by NATS and you wouldn't have the devices logged in to SD issue that you would get.
Thanks guys, I have no great rush so if you can, great.
I've never looked at Easy VFR - will do.
I like Android as well, but , for work related stuff, speed and reliability etc etc then Apple gear is the best by far - in my experience.
Whatever I do on one device is right there on everything else and it's got that professional feel to it.
I stand by to be shot down !
By Flying_john
We carry a spare Ipad Mini in the back of the seat pouch that has RunwayHD loaded.

It needs to be an Ipad with a SIM card slot as this ensures you have on-board GPS.

You can load your preffered EFB (RunwayHD, Skydemon, EasyVFR etc) using the built in Wi-fi, then switch off the Wi-fi.

Keep it in the A/C (charged up or have a panel power socket) and Bobs yer mothers brother. All there ready for emergencies.
Ok, - but- I can't fit in even an ipad mini, do you think that an iphone has an identical capability when de- sim'ed ?
I do know my current 'live' mobile is a lot better than any Android device at displaying SD quickly in the air, so it's quite a valuable backup to have.
By TheKentishFledgling
It'll be absolutely fine. If the phone's been wiped clean, I think you'll either need to connect to iTunes the first time you set it up, or insert a SIM. Then just connect to wifi, remove the SIM and you'll be good to go. You'll obviously need an iTunes account to get the Skydemon app, but once that's done you'll be good to go :thumleft:
By seanxair
I have an iPhone 4s that I have just tried just with maps, not SD. Will only work with a SIM card in and mobile data switched on. Is that to do with the google maps or would the same apply to SD? I have no longer got an apple ID
Google maps require a data connection, either WiFi or mobile data, unless you download an offline area. To do this, go to the 3 lines next to the search box at the top. Select Offline maps, then select your own map. Now try taking the sim out, and see if the GPS works.
SD uses offline maps all the time, as you can't rely on data signals when airborne.
HTH
seanxair liked this
By leiafee
My old (Android) phone whined constantly about not having a sim in it when I was trying to get it to do random other repurposing things. (CCTV, Digital photoframe, pretend ghost spotting bit of kit for fancy dress party... )

I ended up sticking a PAYG sim in it and never using it just to shut up its error messages.
By thegasguy
Thanks all: looks like pay as you go sim is necessary.
Not a hardship, but I thnk they cancel them if you don't use?
I've been a bit of an innocent, second hand iPhones are not that cheap!
I'll have to wait until September for mine to be upgraded and then use that.
Unless someone knows of a useable cheap alternative phone?