The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Thumper
So, general enquiry; has anyone here gone through the trials/tribulations of applying to the LAA to change their engine to a new type on their airframe or 'up' their MAUW?

I am curious to know how many teeth you end up pulling.

Ty
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would imagine anyone approving such a mod, would want to well and truly cover their backside.

Many years ago, I read of an Aussie, flying over a remote sheep/cattle station, spotting an aircraft way below him, close to the ground, flying somewhat erratically. He noted the Reg.

On investigation, it transpired the odd aircraft had been written-off a considerable time prior. The remote station-owner had bought the remains, patched it up and nailed a Rover 3.5 litre V8 car engine and radiator on the front.

It flew, but would you have put your name to it's airworthiness?

sometimes, people have to be saved from themselves.

I'm sure some conversions are very simple, others present difficulty such as W&B totally out, too much torque, not enough power........Yes, pen-pushers can be frustrating, but from what I've heard of the LAA , they do a magnificent job for very modest costs, compared to the CAA.........just think if you'd wanted to modify a similar machine on a C of A..............then count your blessings.
not, and never have been a member, not a pilot, just stood back, looking at the big picture. :wink:
By Charliesixtysix
OP,

Yes to the former, no to the latter.

Probably something best to talk though in person rather than under an expert microscope here though.

I am sure you will know by now how to find my contact details, otherwise PM a contact number I will happily call for a chat.

C66
By Bill McCarthy
Many get hot under the collar with the LAA when applying for a permit aircraft modification.
You have to provide a justification for the change and have all the stress calculations etc. to support the modification request. You weren't expecting them to carry this out for you ?
By seanjd
My (limited) understanding, is that any deviation from the TCDS is going to take a LOT of work, unless it has been done under an STC previously, and you are doing exactly the same modification, then it should be fairly straightforward.
By Thumper
Thanks for everyone's replies: sounds as if any new change, such as mounting a different engine/changing MAUW could take some time......

Bill - no, didn't expect LAA to do anything for me asides, there is a list of people you can approach for various calculations