The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Thumper
Hi all

Im researching the above power plants. Rotax info/reviews is easy to discover, not so Sauer. My German is non existent - bad start - so wondered what people views were here.

Feedback welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rotax
Myself and hundreds of other forumites know them well. Parts and expertise readily available. People can answer even the most unusual question. They are hard to fault, however the price isn't cheap.

Sauer
Never heard of it. Most forumites won't have either. Even if it's technically superior there is a lack of information, support and parts relative to a rotax.
By rf3flyer
AIUI the Sauer engines are variants of the VW boxer. I have no experience with the Sauer though I do fly behind a different VW adaptation. Not sure that I see the Sauer as a direct alternative to a Rotax, though, but WDIK?
By Shoestring Flyer
There are quite a few Groppo Trails that have been fitted with the Sauer 2400 although I think there is one with the lower hp Sauer 2200. The main reason behind fitting this engine is the now high cost of the Rotax 912 series unit which is at £16000+ I believe currently. The cost of the Sauer is roughly half that.
The Sauer is a modified VW engine of Beetle vintage and whilst I am sure it a perfectly acceptable unit there is no way it is in the same quality league as a Rotax 912 series engine.
mick w liked this
By Thumper
Thank you all.

I read on Sauer's website they offer a range of certified engines so would hope their expertise lapped over into the uncertified engines.

Prices do look keen compared to Rotax.
By Arclite01
Limbach is not Sauer. They are 2 different operations and organisations.

They share a common VW type heritage though.

My experience of Sauer is that the engines are good and the service levels are OK. They make certified and uncertified power units. Costs from about £10K upwards. Quite common in Motorgliders and UL's in Europe. Not really English speaking.

Limbach are also good simple engines, parts readily available. However they do not currently make an uncertified power unit. Costs from about £12K upwards. They will exchange units (obviously at a cost). Good service and English speaking.

Had you considered the UL260 which I hear good things about.......................... ??

Rotax is good quality but I feel they are just starting to get expensive for what they are..................reduction gearbox versus direct drive argument........Hmmmm

Regards

Arclite
Thumper liked this
By Thumper
wow.

both new to me. very very interesting. i read about these companies and have to question the future of C-85's 0200's etc, especially with a question mark starting to hang over Avgas.

UL particularly took my eye. Is it VeeDub origination?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thumper wrote:UL particularly took my eye. Is it VeeDub origination?

Not to my knowledge. My friend Paul has one in his Escapade if you want to know how these things are working out in real life.

He's also expressed enthusiasm for the D motor and may build an aeroplane with one of those in at some point.
Thumper liked this
By Thumper
It very slowly dawning on me these engines are the way to go - assuming you can fit them to your aeroplane in the first place!