The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
I have taken advantage of the requirement to change my Garmin SL30 radio to a Garmin GTR 225A with 8.33 Khz channel spacing by pulling the instrument panel out completely and sorting the Jackson Pollock wiring stuffed behind it. I modified the opening for the new radio and repainted the panel before refitting the instruments.
I've had no problem with the physical fitting but I start to struggle when it comes to interpreting wiring diagrams. I have both the SL30 and 225A comprehensive installation manuals but having difficulty working out which pins the wires from the SL30 COM Dsub are connected to in the P2001 block of the 225A. I can supply more precise detail in subsequent correspondence.
The supplier has been really polite and efficient and has answered my initial technical enquiries. I completely understand his latest reaction of being aware that giving me information could be misinterpreted and cause damage that could be the basis of a claim by me. As I have already said, this is understandable and he is continuing to advise with a caveat. I am grateful particularly as he picked up the phone on a Saturday afternoon whilst I was pondering my next move sat in my cockpit in the hangar with the wiring diagrams on my lap.
So, my question is, is there a source of technical advice (doesn't have to be free) for the likes of people such as myself who like to tackle their own radio installation work?
I have sent a detailed email to Garmin Support but not confident they will engage me as a non qualified person. Thanks to any contributors who may be able to advise, James.