The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Chasnaisflyer
I am going through the process of selecting my hardware prior to placing and order.
I intend to remove an old KX175B (Nav/com with ILS) and replace it with a simple 8.33 radio, probably just com without the nav bit.

(My box 2 is a KX125; a very fine piece of kit with a nav facility. I aim to keep this...I think I am allowed to.... mainly for the purpose of listening into ATIS etc.)

Before making my decision I am asking if anybody else has fitted an 8.33 to a 172 (Mine is an old "H"), what choice did you make, and taking into account the existence or not of approvals, and the simplicity or not of the installation task, what advice can you pass to me.

My aim is to select the lowest cost solution taking into account the hidden extra costs of approvals and installation labour. All contributions gratefully received.
RT
By Gas Guzzler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you are replacing a KX175 and can wait a little while longer there will shortly be a plug-in replacement available from TKM avionics, I have been in contact with them and they assure me their MX175 will be 8,33kHz compliant soon! Might be worth double checking with them though for an estimate of delivery time.
http://tkmavionics.com/