The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It depends. The main thing is that the antennas have a good view of the sky.

The PilotAware transmits once every 1.8 seconds or so, so you might hear a click at that time if it's too near to something else.

I put mine on top of the dashboard.
karlbown liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
flybymike wrote:How do you secure it?

I have some rubber feet on it. And I also wrap the power wire around the compass! Yes, it also surprised me that it doesn't affect it.

flybymike wrote:And does it not interfere with the view out of the window, thus negating at least some of its benefits?

Window? I have Sky Demon...

(and answer is no, it's only little!)
By Paul_Sengupta
No, it sits firmly on the dashboard with its rubber feet.

If I don't wrap the wire around the compass it falls off during take-off, but that's all.

I have plans to try another case with suckers on the bottom, but the small ones I bought from e-bay are pretty useless. The Christmas hanging stuff suckers from Poundland looked just right for the job, but unfortunately I didn't buy any, so will just have to wait until next Christmas. I have looked in both Poundland and Poundworld for such suckers but haven't been able to find any. I might have to take my chances with e-bay again!
By GrahamB
I clamp the PAW to the top of an EasyAcc power pack with a couple of those velcro strappy things, and there is a enough weight and grip for it to remain on the AA5's coaming without sliding around. A self-adhesive velcro pad stuck to the bottom of the Mode S/ADSB antenna base holds it nicely to the top of one of the velcro strappy things.

I may cut the Mode S antenna down to half length, so I can slide it further forward on the coaming, but it doesn't really need it.
karlbown liked this
By PaulB
BlueTack... seems to work! May invest in a remote antenna and extension for GPS so the box can be positioned anywhere.
GrahamB wrote:I may cut the Mode S antenna down to half length, so I can slide it further forward on the coaming, but it doesn't really need it.

Reducing the length of an antenna is a bad idea because the length defines the wavelength that the antenna is sensitive to.
By Paul_Sengupta
ChrisRowland wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I may cut the Mode S antenna down to half length, so I can slide it further forward on the coaming, but it doesn't really need it.

Reducing the length of an antenna is a bad idea because the length defines the wavelength that the antenna is sensitive to.

Ah, you haven't been following the discussion. The length as it is at the moment isn't optimised. The antenna is made for the TV band. To optimise it for ADS-B it needs to be cut down. There are discussions on the PilotAware forum on this. People have measured from the screw where the centre coax attaches and given dimensions to create a 1/4 wave whip. It should then really be mounted on a ground plane.

In real life, transponder transmissions are so powerful that it doesn't really matter. For collision avoidance, you don't need to see traffic 200 miles away!