The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I quite like the look of this:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

To be fair to PAW - the box in the picture, Powerflarm Mobile is considerably more expensive, but requires no handyman prowess.

PS my inability to display a photo of the product here is a fair reflection of my lack of technical ability.
By Paul_Sengupta
With that PowerFlarm you're back to Pete S's problem, where on the PA28 there isn't an awful lot of room between the dash and the windscreen.

A custom installation is probably needed in that case, with both antennas sited remotely.

On my Bulldog I have ample room between the dash and the windscreen to fit in the PilotAware antenna(s).

The PilotAware is the unit on the left here:

You can do a little bit of handyman prowess if you so wish. You can change out the P3i antenna and put on extension leads, etc. Antennas are available here:

http://pilotawarehardware.com/product-category/accessories/

You can also cut down the ADS-B antenna to roughly half the size (though I'd have to look up the correct length to cut it to).

You will also have to feed it power, either from a battery pack or from a cigarette lighter adaptor.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I quite like the look of this:
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

To be fair to PAW - the box in the picture, Powerflarm Mobile is considerably more expensive, but requires no handyman prowess.

PS my inability to display a photo of the product here is a fair reflection of my lack of technical ability.

Well unless it is the PowerFlarm core of course :-
Would you need to be a handyman for this :shock:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Lee, that is the installed version innit?

The portable version is just the box as I understand it.

From what I understand by reading the pages on here is in order to have a working PAW unit you need to stick some electronic bits together, bridge them or not etc etc. Way over my simpleton's head.
By Nick
Yes that is indeed the installed version. There is an additional antena and a remote USB socket shown. The USB remote is only required if the core is mounted out of reach. This is needed when updates are required or you want to download the flight recorder.

All that shown can be mounted out of site with the exception of the two dipoles and the GPS puck.

ADSB in. And ADSB out with a transponder. Will see all Flarm equipped gliders and Mode S. Also pilot aware if it is equiped with Flarm mouse or ADSB out.

Nick.
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:From what I understand by reading the pages on here is in order to have a working PAW unit you need to stick some electronic bits together, bridge them or not etc etc. Way over my simpleton's head.

No, I think you're a couple of years out of date. That was when it was under development. Now you buy the box as mostly pictured above. Apply power. Connect your tablet's Wifi. Get the web page up. Put in your reg, hex code (available from G-INFO) and licence key. Then configure your nav software to use it.

That's it. There are other things to configure if you want them such as turning on Mode C/S detection and setting the sensitivity. But that's all under "Configure" on the web page.
By Flyin'Dutch'
So in a nutshell, can PAW provide

ADS-B in (and out)
Flarm in and out - (aircraft based not dependent on ground stations)
Mode C/S in

without a lot of geeky tinkering?

If yes, what is the cost of the bits and how much effort to get it going?

:?:

Receiving and transmitting the PAW protocol would be a nice to have but not essential.
Unless you really want to build it from bits there is very nearly nothing in it price wise. The other day I ran through PilotAware's 'Known Good Hardware' list and found that the parts would cost about £15 less than the cost of the complete unit, a difference that would probably be eroded somewhat by postage on some of the ebay items.

You can tell from this that I have been thinking about PAW but my problem is panel space. I have none to spare. I could mount the box somewhere out of sight but the display is my problem. Rather liking the simplicity of the FLARM Butterfly display I had thought of running only the Radar screen on a small device, an iPod touch for example, that I would ideally mount right at the top of the panel pretty much where a gunsight would go. The snag I discovered yesterday is that the iPod puts a hefty swing into the compass directly below. Anywhere else on the panel and something more fundamental gets obscured.

You'll say there are voice alerts, and I know, but as one who hates gabby cars, nagging checkouts and the rest, I don't think they'd work for me. Also I don't know how I'd wire that in. I think the PAW instructions talk about wiring into an intercom. Single seat, no intercom. :?:

Fortunately I don't live in the 'target rich' south, so I'm not too desperate for traffic alerts but I though it might be nice to catch up a little.
Nick liked this
FD,
ADSB in, yes. Out if you have a comparable mode S Transponder
FLARM in if in OGN -PAW linked coverage area (expanding). Can also link to a FLARM unit to display FLARM traffic and the FLARM unit will output FLARM signal
Mode C/S in, yes
P3i PAW protocol in and out, yes.

If you think the last one is just a nice option, then go buy something else. Until a significant number of gliders and GA aircraft can do ADSB ES, it's your best option to see other traffic.
rf3flyer wrote:You can tell from this that I whave been thinking about PAW but my problem is panel space. I have none to spare. I could mount the box somewhere out of sight but the display is my problem. Rather liking the simplicity of the FLARM Butterfly display I had thought of running only the Radar screen on a small device, an iPod touch for example, that I would ideally mount right at the top of the panel pretty much where a gunsight would go. The snag I discovered yesterday is that the iPod puts a hefty swing into the compass directly below. Anywhere else on the panel and something more fundamental gets obscured.

You'll say there are voice alerts, and I know, but as one who hates gabby cars, nagging checkouts and the rest, I don't think they'd work for me. Also I don't know how I'd wire that in. I think the PAW instructions talk about wiring into an intercom. Single seat, no intercom.

What happened to the wrist mounts for phones? I think RobP used one?

Some radios have a aux audio input. Some headsets likewise. Though it may need a bit of advice from the electronic whizzes, you could also input into the second mic input ( unless you have a handheld?)
By GrahamB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:So in a nutshell, can PAW provide

ADS-B in (and out)
Flarm in and out - (aircraft based not dependent on ground stations)
Mode C/S in

without a lot of geeky tinkering? .

ADS-B in.
Mode C/S in
P3i out and in (PilotAware only protocol)
Currently all FLARM in if you buy extra kit, but the recent development is FLARM in now available via uplink over P3i from the OGN network, but this is early days and only works in an area of the Midlands where three (?) OGN stations have been converted.

Cost of the near out-of-the-box Classic is £165 plus VAT and postage, and the cost of providing it with power (power bank, socket adaptor or hard-wiring). Optional different antennae are available from the website at additional cost,.

I have a bog-standard Classic unit strapped to an EasyAcc power pack sitting on the coaming of the AA5 and it works well. It looks Heath Robinson, but it's tidy enough and doesn't obstruct the view out particularly, but the Grumman is quite good in that respect with its low, flat coaming. I have a short audio lead patching it into the 'Music in' socket for my intercom for the audio warnings.

Regarding configuration, I have set the altitude filter to +/-2000' and the Mode S/C to 'Ultra Short Range' as I'm not interested in seeing/hearing traffic which doesn't represent a material threat.

I am already Mode S/ADS-B out equipped via certified GPS position so I'm doing my bit for The Greater Good; consequently for me PAW and SD is fine as a 'receive only' solution. One day, perhaps, all traffic will be ADS-B and I can replace it with something slightly tidier.