The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
Can the PAW see through the crew, airframe and engine etc well enough with antennae in that location to give good reports on traffic ahead and below?

We played with our PowerFlarm antenna in various positions and ran log files through the range analyser before settling on needing two antennae ( one above the engine line and a second one externally mounted between the gear legs) to reduce blind spots to a level we are comfortable with.
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T67M wrote:I've mounted an SMA ADS-B aerial on my PilotAware alongside the P3I aerial, and I've replaced the plug-in USB power lead with a soldered one to improve the reliability of the connection.
mike did you have problems with the USB power socket on the Pi? Flying this evening the poxy thing rebooted again on me twice so I am suspecting further problem perhaps power connection related.
This is mine in the Pup...

Out of the sun and out of the way (mostly)

With a remote dipole each side of the screen...

No longer a fan of the end-fed antennae as they just get in the way and make the whole thing troublesome to locate sensibly.

The remote GPS is on the glare shield.
Ridders liked this
By T67M
Charliesixtysix wrote:Can the PAW see through the crew, airframe and engine etc well enough with antennae in that location to give good reports on traffic ahead and below?

It's very hard to judge where the blind spots are without deliberately running in formation with other aircraft, but certainly I get alerts (usually bearingless) from aircraft which I eventually spot ahead of and below me.

Ridders wrote:
T67M wrote:I've mounted an SMA ADS-B aerial on my PilotAware alongside the P3I aerial, and I've replaced the plug-in USB power lead with a soldered one to improve the reliability of the connection.
mike did you have problems with the USB power socket on the Pi? Flying this evening the poxy thing rebooted again on me twice so I am suspecting further problem perhaps power connection related.

Yes - I had nothing but trouble with the Micro-USB power cable with lots of spontaneous reboots. Since soldering a USB cable onto the main PCB I have not had a single reboot, even though I just used an old USB cable I had laying around which is not as good quality as the JuiceBitz cable provided with the Classic.
Ridders liked this
By Nick
My Power Flarm dipoles are mounted one either side of the windscreen fairly high up and the GPS antena mounted above and behind my head.

I get warnings of other aircraft above and below and fore and aft. I fly a metal and fabric aircraft.

Nick.
This is my completed setup. A small piece of sticky gel pad keep the PAW and power pack together, with two Velcro straps as backup. A short 90 degree USB cable connects the power pack to the PAW. It's pretty compact and easy to fix to wherever you want using more gel pad or double sided suckers