The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Something like this: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/helico ... apter.html ?
U174 is UK NATO. U93 is USA NATO. Pins are different, and I understand the size differs by 0.4mm.
Note: I don't think you get power through the NATO connection and the impedance is often different between NATO headsets and GA headsets, so you either need a clever intercom or something to make the adjustment (don't know if that adapter would).
By Paul_Sengupta
No, U174 isn't a UK NATO plug, it's a US/UK/other helicopter plug and essentially the same as the US NATO U93.

A UK NATO plug won't fit in such a socket, it'll be slightly too big. A U174 plug will fit into a UK NATO socket, but it'll fall out easily. The pinouts aren't the same though.

What's the 7 pin connector?

It might have to be done in two stages, UK NATO to U174, then U174 to whatever this 7 pin connector is. Or you could have twin GA plugs in the middle. Or anything really! :D Have a look here:

http://www.headsetservices.com/adaptors.html

Ah, I see HF supplied that exact link! :D

It might be just as cost effective to get a custom lead made up rather than buying the two adaptors leads.

Also then if the helmet is still UK military spec (150 ohm non-amplified microphone), you'll need to change the microphone to a civil spec one (150 ohm amplified) or put an amplifier in circuit (if you're using a LEMO plug, it could be powered off this!). The earpieces should be fine.
Thumper liked this
By Thumper
Paul,

You are clearly an adept person at wiring this stuff up. However, I'm very much not :)

I think Headset Services suggested a mic adapter in the helmet and then a socket adapter my NATO plug fits into.

Total cost? £200 probably....but at least it will work as opposed to me having a go and um, frying the comms !:)
By riverrock
Lynx headsets are designed to be internally powered and work without separate intercoms (so you can plug two headsets directly into each other and the built in circuitry will act as the intercom). So to convert you need the circuitry, not just a straight connector.

So buy the right box made by Lynx for £166 which includes the circuitry. Links to Lynx are above. Their website lists their UK distributors.
Thumper liked this