The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Rob P
B*gg*r me. I managed to plug-in the odds and ends, configure it and get it working unassisted. :shock:

And I am the ultimate numpty.

Rob P
seanxair, PaulB, T67M and 2 others liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

No, you just proved that a geeky experimental lash-up has morphed into a consumer-friendly ,cost-effective item!....don't sell yourself short , you can achieve all sorts if you have the motivation.....well, you just did, didn't you. :thumleft:
T67M liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Rob P wrote:B*gg*r me. I managed to plug-in the odds and ends, configure it and get it working unassisted. :shock:

Rob P

Excellent. :thumleft:
Does that mean the RV6 is back from the radio doctor ?

Ours is currently in the operating theatre having new Trig boxes fitted and I am looking at options on what best to use as an unobtrusive gps unit that can sit behind the RV7 panel to drive the ADS-B bit on the Trig TT21.

As a fellow numpty, I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with:

Firstly, Does your PAW unit have facilty to hardwire the GPS output to the txpdr that I would need.? If so, it would make lots of sense to use PAW box for this and gain benfit of another level of electronic conspicuity to add alongside the Powerflarm we already have fitted. (edit- I realise that I could use the PowerFlarm for GPS source but it sits atop the coaming and I am looking to keep visible cabling to a minimum - so I am considering using a PAW unit hidden behind the panel (next to txpdr box) that will switch on with avionics master to provide gps info to txpdr)

Secondly, where have you found best to place the PAW antennae in the RV to give goood forward/ lateral visibility?
By Cessna57
Charliesixtysix wrote:
Rob P wrote:B*gg*r me. I managed to plug-in the odds and ends, configure it and get it working unassisted. :shock:

Rob P

Excellent. :thumleft:

Firstly, Does your PAW unit have facilty to hardwire the GPS output to the txpdr that I would need.? If so, it would make lots of sense to use PAW box for this and gain benfit of another level of electronic conspicuity to add alongside the Powerflarm we already have fitted. (edit- I realise that I could use the PowerFlarm for GPS source but it sits atop the coaming and I am looking to keep visible cabling to a minimum - so I am considering using a PAW unit hidden behind the panel (next to txpdr box) that will switch on with avionics master to provide gps info to txpdr)

yes, they all have that capability as standard. The lead costs £10-£20.
I'd recommend registering on the PAW forum, where there are many who have done it, and can advise, and have taken pictures etc.

Technical support is there too.

Secondly, where have you found best to place the PAW antennae in the RV to give goood forward/ lateral
visibility?

I'll leave that to others more familiar with an RV, anywhere will work, it's just a case of do you want 20-30km, or 5-10km. I throw mine in the back of a PA28 for the 5-10km, all day long, range.

Charliesixtysix liked this
By Cessna57

Rob P

:thumleft:

If you can fly a 'plane, you should be able to follow a single sheet of explicit instructions, with pictures. :lol:
By Rob P
As a writer who has turned out a few instruction sheets in my time I did think there were notable shortcomings, easily remedied, with the one supplied though.

Thanks for mailing it on. It works in the Jaguar, I would like my aeroplane back so I can see if it works in there. (No reason why not)

Rob P
By Rob P
Charliesixtysix wrote:
Does that mean the RV6 is back from the radio doctor ?

Sadly no. The EMS fitting is complete bar one fuel flow sensor, and that is proving a little bit of a tease. Far too tiresome to enter into details, but currently no solution in sight.

As for placement. I am thinking at the moment of mounting the unit in the footwell, probably vertically on the sidewall with velcro, and running the tiny GPS module, big aerial and little aerial to somewhere on the coaming, and a power lead behind the panel. The practicalities of this I have yet to investigate.

Rob P
By Rob P
The ARNE fitment is simply on the coaming. I am looking to achieve something a little more tailored than that. Though it will give us a topic of conversation if ever the 6 returns from the avionics people and Dave flies the Turweston Shuttle again.

Good thought.

Rob P